Technical Coordinator/Senior Technical Coordinator
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/31/2023
Job Code: 538.2 Technical Coordinator / 538.3 Sr. Technical Coord.
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$39.05 - $48.50 Hourly for the 538.2 level
$46.90 - $58.24 Hourly for the 538.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for a Technical Coordinator/Sr. Technical Coordinator. Under general supervision, you will be responsible to provide general technical and administrative support for the acquisition and fabrication of general electronics instrumentation, hardware and data acquisition systems, and mechanical equipment and hardware for various projects. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED)/Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program supporting the Strategic Deterrence Principal Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Provide general coordination and support for multiple technical projects and/or activities with frequently changing requirements and priorities.
- Maintain appropriate records and summaries to support project needs. Provide award/delivery status to supervisor and customers/requestors. Anticipate and reconcile supply problems, including technical factors affecting critical milestones.
- Collaborate with and provide technical support to designers, technicians, machinists, engineers, internal organizations, outside suppliers, and vendors on multiple large and small moderately complex projects, sometimes involving hazardous materials.
- Support acquisition and fabrication of general electronics instrumentation, hardware and data acquisition systems, and mechanical equipment and hardware activities for DTED, Strategic Deterrence, and Work for Others, including Site 300 and other off-site locations.
- Support Designers and Engineers in reviewing drawings and electrical schematics and other related technical information while applying appropriate standards, procedures, and techniques to screen parts sources. Review vendor proposed fabrication processes, pricing, and delivery schedules.
- Process general internal fabrication packages through LLNL fabrication facilities.
- Provide Technical Release Representative (TRR) services requiring in-depth knowledge of purchasing requirements and regulations.
- Strictly adhere to laboratory safety and security guidelines, and regulations, and perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Coordinate programmatic equipment maintenance activities including tracking vendor maintenance subcontracts, scheduling routine and non-routine service visits, working with administrative staff to ensure proper vendor badging and training for onsite access.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 538.3 level
- Prepare technical procurement packages for mechanical fabrications including specifications and statements of work, as well as quality assurance and inspection requirements.
- Monitor procurement deliverables and provide technical interface between LLNL and supplier, e.g. on time deliverables, milestone reviews, and technical resolutions during processing.
- Make independent decisions regarding fabrication alternatives, supplier selections, and substitute hardware and materials using LLNL guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Manage equipment maintenance database and spare parts inventory tracking. Develop new equipment requirement documents for vendor solicitation in conjunction with Engineering technical staff.
- Act as Responsible Individual on Procured Services Work Control Documents and ensure onsite work is authorized, approved, and released prior to work start.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience in customer service or support organization and proven ability to interact with a diverse and demanding customer base.
- Experience working independently and as a team member with effective problem-solving skills. Ability to manage multiple competing priorities while meeting specific programmatic technical and reporting requirements.
- Intermediate level knowledge and understanding of conventional manufacturing and fabrication techniques, general electronics instrumentation, hardware and data acquisition systems, and mechanical equipment and hardware.
- Effective written and verbal communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with a diverse workforce.
- Knowledge of office computer software, common operating systems, and common word processing, spreadsheet, and databases.
- Ability to acquire and maintain Technical Release Representative (TRR) certification.
Additional qualifications at the 538.3 level
- Advanced skills, knowledge, and demonstrated abilities in procurement and coordination of materials and equipment.
- Advanced knowledge of decision making for fabrication alternatives, supplies selections and materials.
Qualifications We Desire
- Intermediate level knowledge and understanding of ASME Y14.5 Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Knowledge and use of Microsoft Project to construct accurate budget estimates and schedules.
- High level understanding of machine tool technology. High level understanding of test equipment, data acquisition and instrumentation.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.