Antibody Production Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 08/30/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: None, but work must be performed by a U.S. person (e.g., U.S. citizen or permanent resident and certain others). Also, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$127,680 - $163,968 Annually for the SES.2 level
$153,210 - $196,788 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
NOTE: These are flexible term positions dependent on project funding. Current funding is expected for at least 3 years.
We have multiple openings for Staff Scientists in our high throughput antibody production and characterization team. This exciting opportunity is ideal for an experienced bench scientist with expertise in high throughput antibody production and characterization. You will be responsible for the development, implementation, and continuous optimization of automated high throughput protein production and screening platforms for the characterization of computationally designed therapeutic antibodies. Our team values scientific excellence, innovation, diverse perspectives, and collaboration. Join our dynamic team of scientists dedicated to advancing biotechnology and making a significant impact on drug discovery and development.
These positions will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level, depending on your qualifications. Additional job duties will be assigned at the higher level.
- Design and execute experiments for high throughput antibody production and characterization using mammalian cell culture systems.
- Increase efficiency of protein expression, purification, and characterization.
- Conduct molecular biology techniques such as gene cloning, transfection, and stable cell line generation.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of novel technologies and methodologies to enhance protein production efficiency and quality.
- Analyze and interpret experimental data, troubleshoot technical issues, and propose innovative solutions.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to support the generation of therapeutic antibodies for various drug discovery programs.
- Maintain accurate and detailed laboratory records, write technical reports, and present findings to project teams and stakeholders.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Duties at the SES.3 level:
- Validate and implement analytical tests for physicochemical properties, biological activity, immunochemical properties, protein structure, and post-translational modifications.
- Engineer antibody expression and presentation constructs (e.g., mAb, Fab, scFv) including structure guided design for paratope modification, construct stabilization, format selection, linker design, etc.
- Independently troubleshoot and resolve issues around antibody formulation, long term storage, and quality control issues.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in biotechnology, biochemistry, or a related scientific discipline, or equivalent combination of related education and experience in a technical or engineering field.[JG1]
- Proficient hands-on experience in high throughput protein production, purification, and characterization techniques.
- Comprehensive knowledge in antibody production using mammalian cell culture systems (CHO, HEK293, etc.).
- Proficient in molecular biology techniques, including gene cloning, transfection, and stable cell line generation.
- Familiarity with protein analytical techniques such as SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, ELISA or advanced immunoassay platforms (e.g., AlphaLISA, MSD, Gyrolab, Luminex), HT affinity assessment (SPR, BLI) and HPLC.
- Proficient using automated liquid handling systems and LIMS.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and collaborate with colleagues from diverse scientific backgrounds.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to multitask in a fast-paced research environment.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.3 Level:
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in biotechnology, biochemistry, or a related scientific discipline, or equivalent combination of related education and experience in a technical or engineering field.
- Significant experience developing and managing workflows for high throughput antibody production and screening platforms.
- Advanced knowledge developing processes on automated liquid handling systems and high-throughput screening platforms.
- Significant experience standing up or managing data flows for LIMS, including implementing complex and rigorous data analysis and interpretation.
- Advanced knowledge of protein engineering techniques, especially in the detection and correction of antibody developability.
- Significant expertise in library display technologies for high throughput screening, e.g., mammalian cell-based expression/display, yeast display, and/or other platforms.
Qualifications We Desire:
- Significant experience with protein structure analysis or molecular modeling, and familiarity with protein visualization software.
- Advanced knowledge with high throughput display technologies (e.g. phage, yeast, ribosome) and sequence analysis for affinity tuning, maturation, and/or humanization.
- Hands-on experience with high throughput automation and/or expertise in high-throughput enabling instruments.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years. If final candidate is a Career Indefinite employee, Career Indefinite status may be maintained (should funding allow).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, this position involves U.S. Export Control; this work must be performed by a U.S. person (U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident, U.S. national, or U.S. protected individual (e.g., refugee, asylee)).
If your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.