Strategic HR Business Partner (HRBP)
Human Resources | livermore, CA | 08/29/2023
Job Code: EXS.1 Executive Staff 1
Organization: Human Resource Management
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$181,380 - $231,168 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have several openings for Strategic HR Business Partners, at the Director level, who will act as a champion and change agent, and trusted advisor for one of our 8 directorates. As a member of the senior leadership team for the directorate, you will be a champion for significant change initiatives impacting the workforce such as performance management and compensation. Additionally, you will be the liaison to HR and assess and anticipate HR talent management needs and seek to develop integrated solutions in collaboration with the directorate leadership teams and the core HR ecosystem. You will provide a full range of consultative and collaborative approach to people strategies/programs in areas such as talent and performance management, organization design/expansion, leadership/high potential development, succession planning, talent acquisition, diversity & inclusion, retention/engagement programs and strategic workforce planning. You will use your expert knowledge in HR related areas to interact with all levels of management and employees and will interact with high-level managers within the directorate and the Laboratory. This position will have direct line reporting into the Human Resources Management Directorate and be matrixed into one of our program or discipline directorates.
Business needs require that this position have an on-site presence multiple days a week. Telecommuting options will be limited.
- Provide expert internal consulting services to senior management on workforce related topics such as workforce planning, talent acquisition, succession planning, employee relations, training and development, diversity and inclusion, conflict management, and other HR services.
- Implement transformational HR projects to help drive faster adoption, higher utilization of and proficiency with the changes in your directorate such as a new performance management program, compensation program and culture survey. Ensure the execution of strategic deliverables and enable business requirements in support of the organizational and Laboratory initiatives.
- Facilitate the development and implementation of organization-specific people strategies, diagnosing organizational issues, including developing, driving and leveraging employee engagement initiatives that elevate and sustain high levels of employee engagement.
- Diagnose, recommend and implement interventions for complex and highly sensitive employee relations situations to build trust, employee engagement and support changing dynamic workforce needs. Provide conflict management and advanced consulting support to supervisors and managers to include coaching, counseling, career development and disciplinary action to foster a high performing culture.
- Partner with organization Administrators and HR to solve issues involving recruitment and hiring, salary management, performance management, corrective action, employee relations, internal communications, policies and procedures, etc.
- Determine strategies and actions to generate solutions in response to significant, diverse, and unique situations for which guidelines, policies, and practices may not exist. Solve problems with little precedent that often cross areas/organizations through the development of new approaches and techniques while establishing and maintaining effective relationships.
- Conduct analysis and research on a wide variety of workforce-related activities and proactively evaluate, negotiate and recommend solutions and actions to complex problems internally and coordinate and respond to various institutional -related requests including institutional business practices, outdated methodology, exceptions to policy, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Significant experience working in a strategic HRBP, OD or HR leadership role, consulting directly with senior leadership, leading human resources initiatives and processes and efforts in a large, diverse organization.
- Broad and extensive specialized and operational knowledge of HR principles, practices and processes. Experience with a wide variety of HR activities, such as workforce planning, talent acquisition, training and development, employee relations, salary management, diversity and inclusion, organizational development, succession planning, team development and consulting with managers on performance management issues.
- Experience functioning as a change agent for whole systems or major organization units by implementing programs resulting in long-term change. Extensive experience leading and overseeing a variety of institutional cross-organizational and integrated projects with unique situations.
- Advanced organizational, problem solving, decision making and analytical skills necessary to independently advise, consult and recommend appropriate actions and implement solutions.
- Advanced communication and collaboration skills necessary to advise and influence internal and external stakeholders on a wide variety of issues to ensure mutual success.
- Extensive experienced and advanced skills with Microsoft Office Suite (excel, word, PowerPoint, access etc.). Experience conducting data analytics to develop metric and trend data using advanced Excel functions.
Qualifications We Desire
- Advanced degree in Human Resources or related field.
- SPHR or SHRM-SCP certification.
- Experience working at a DOE Laboratory or in a similar regulated environment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.