Mechanical Technologist/Sr. Mechanical Technologist in the Advanced Manufacturing Lab
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/24/2023
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$39.05 - $58.24 Hourly
$39.05 - $48.50 Hourly for the 533.2 level
$46.90 - $58.24 Hourly for the 533.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Mechanical Technologist/Senior Mechanical Technologist in the Advanced Manufacturing Lab. You will provide general technical support to new and ongoing experiments involving engineering evaluation, fabrication, assembly, and documentation as well as equipment installation, operation, and maintenance. The scope may include monitoring facility activities and employees, overseeing lab safety and housekeeping, facility maintenance, and inventory management. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Provide general technical support to engineering, scientific, and technical staff to plan and conduct experiments at LLNL and other offsite locations.
- Apply intermediate knowledge of relevant technologies and processes, including operating multi-axis positioning systems and additive manufacturing machines, and operating laboratory equipment.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble moderately complex mechanical components and systems, using work control process and procedure requirements.
- Operate experimental and diagnostic equipment and perform data collection in the execution of experiments.
- Maintain systems documentation and experimental records.
- Perform equipment related and technical functions such as maintenance, testing, and upgrades to equipment.
- Follow and adhere to written, operational, and safety procedures, including practicing good housekeeping in experimental, work, and office areas and perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.3 level
- Operate intricate and complex design, engineering, and scientific software.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble complex mechanical components and systems including planning and selecting materials, equipment, and methods.
- Set priorities, schedules, and requirements to solve complex mechanical and operational problems.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate (AS) degree in engineering, mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing technology, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Intermediate understanding of engineering hardware design, including knowledge of drafting/design software.
- Experience with experimental and testing processes.
- Intermediate skills and experience using general hand tools such as hand-held or stationary drills and grinders, and precision measurement equipment such as torque wrenches calipers, micrometers, and height gages.
- Ability to work with general machine shop equipment e.g., mills, lathes, and cutting equipment.
- Knowledge of office computer software, including word processing and spreadsheets necessary to produce supportive documentation and graphics.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills, and abilities working effectively high level technical, engineering, and scientific staff.
- Ability to collect data from experimental equipment in different formats or data silos. Ability to analyze, and store the data using good record-keeping, data management and statistical methods.
Additional qualifications at the 533.3 level
- High level technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures and experience operating intricate technical software and systems.
- Ability to read and follow complex assembly procedures, engineering notes, sketches, and drawings.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge and experience with 3D printing from design to programming to producing a functioning part.
- Knowledge of engineering standards and policies, including design safety standards, planning and design, and experience in using CAD programs with the ability to perform engineering calculations.
- Experience managing operations in experimental labs.
- Experience using Scientific software to analyze data, such as Python or Excel.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.