Electrical Engineer - Radio Frequency/Microwave
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/23/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$127,680 - $196,788 Annually
$127,680 - $163,968 Annually for the SES.2 level
$153,210 - $196,788 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have several openings for an Electrical Engineer specializing in Radio Frequency (RF) and microwaves. You will be an integral part of a multi-disciplinary team supporting a project utilizing unique, high-powered microwave sources. This will include providing technical support to characterization and effects testing on various electronic targets. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED) of the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Partner with colleagues to gain a comprehensive understanding of design requirements for electrical systems that involve unique, high-powered microwave sources.
- Use broadly defined parameters, develop and execute test plans for effects testing on various electronic targets; conduct Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, through completion of projects.
- Perform characterization of s-parameters and/or MMIC by developing moderately complex to complex analysis methods to measure performance.
- Conduct noise figure analysis, work with low noise and power amplifiers.
- Utilization of circuit simulation software for design of analog, RF and microwave circuits.
- Document engineering methods and findings in informal and formal reports and presentations. Prepare supporting safety documentation.
- Collaborate with other engineers, scientists and technicians to provide moderately complex to complex engineering solutions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Under minimal direction, apply advanced knowledge in the domains of complex electrical engineering, microwave RF or related fields leading to engineering solutions.
- Contribute to the fulfillment of project and organizational goals, acting as the main point of contact, mentoring and leading junior staff, sharing relevant knowledge, providing formal guidance and recommendations to project leadership.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, applied physics, or related technologies field or the equivalent combination of education and relevant previous experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of fundamental electrical engineering concepts related to assembly, calibration, and testing of analog and digital electrical systems.
- Experience with noise figure analysis and working with low noise and power amplifiers.
- Experience with moderately complex to complex characterization and testing of s-parameters and/or MMIC.
- Comprehensive knowledge of SPICE or similar circuit simulation software.
- Ability to learn unique design requirements for electrical systems that involve high voltage.
- Proficient communication skills with proven ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner, both verbal and written for presentation and interaction with other technical staff members.
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge in the domains of electrical engineering, microwave RF or related fields involving integration of complex engineering solutions.
- Significant experience applying advanced technical knowledge and methodologies to guide the successful completion of technical projects, serving as the primary technical contact, mentoring and/or leading junior staff members.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain complex technical information and provide advice to management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering, applied physics, or related technologies field or the equivalent combination of education and relevant previous experience.
- Significant knowledge of Electromagnetic Interference (EMI)/ Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) and grounding and shielding of electrical systems.
- Broad experience with design tools such as ADS (Advanced Design System) or Cadence and/or antenna design.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.