HVAC Mechanic II
Craft and Skilled Trades | livermore, CA | 08/23/2023
Job Code: 822.2 Air Conditioning Mech. II
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$45.19 - $52.29 Hourly
This position is under a Collective Bargaining Agreement and step structure. Step placement will be determined after your qualifications are fully assessed during the interview process.
We have openings for HVAC Mechanics. You will perform specialized tasks in air conditioning, heating or ventilation and air conditioning/refrigeration (HVAC) controls maintenance, installation, and repair. This position is in the Infrastructure Maintenance and Utilities Department and may be located at LLNL main site (Site 200) or at Site 300 in Tracy, California.
- Responsible for fabrication, installation, alteration, troubleshooting, repair, operation, maintenance, adjustment and monitoring of a variety of air conditioning systems including large commercial and industrial chiller units and other associated HVAC/R components such as compressors, motors, variable air-volume, air handling units, ductwork, control systems (pneumatic, digital, and electronic) and equipment safety devices.
- Perform proper and safe handling of recovery, recycling, and reclamation of refrigerants in accordance with
- Perform routine journey level maintenance on heat exchangers and controls for heating domestic and industrial hot water.
- Inspect low pressure boiler systems and related heating equipment Assist in piping repair and installation, related to the HVAC system, including drain lines.
- Repair and/or replace pneumatic control lines and valves relating to pressure reducing stations, radiators, heating and cooling coil control valves, unit heaters, boiler control, and thermostatic controls.
- Provide test, adjust, and balancing services on air handling and hydronic systems in accordance with the National Environmental Balancing Bureau (NEBB) procedural standards for testing, adjusting, and balancing of environmental systems.
- Manage building conditions through the utilization of computerized energy/building management systems and equipment.
- Prepare standard reports including status reports, permit requirements, deficiency forms, and preventative work requests.
- Interact with technical, administrative, and craft personnel of all levels.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent. Completion of an apprenticeship program in air-conditioning, refrigeration, heating, and/or ventilation trade school.
- Intermediate to advanced journey level skills, knowledge, abilities and extensive experience in the air-conditioning, refrigeration, heating and/or ventilation trade. The application of safety policies and procedures, and regulations training.
- EPA Universal certification to work with refrigerants.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret mechanical building construction drawings and manufacturer’s mechanical schematics to assist in maintenance, alterations and installations of HVAC equipment and systems.
- Experience and knowledge of layout and installation of HVAC equipment along with the related mechanical codes and experience using and hand and power tools of the trade.
- Effective customer service and communication skills necessary to interact effectively with clients and a multi-disciplinary team and the ability to effectively establish priorities and handle multiple tasks with changing priorities.
- Computer skills necessary to complete time reporting, web-based training, and work orders.
- Valid California Driver’s License; ability to work scheduled, on-call, and emergency overtime.
Qualifications We Desire
- Working knowledge of Automated Logic Systems and direct digital control systems.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in low temperature refrigeration.
- Two-year HVAC technical degree or the equivalent completion of State recognized HVAC/R trade school.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Davis Bacon Act
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.