Defense Systems Analysis Group Leader
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/18/2023
Job Code: SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4 / SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$198,630 - $306,096 Annually
$198,630 - $255,060 Annually for the SEL.4 level
$238,380 - $306,096 Annually for the SEL.5 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Group Leader for the Defense Systems Analysis Group (DSAG) which is part of the Data Analytics and Decision Sciences Section within the Computational Engineering Division (CED). In this position you will work with Division and Program management to recruit, train and lead support staff as well as build and apply analysis capabilities.
You will apply a wide variety of science, mathematics, and computational approaches to our national security-related program areas, which include nuclear weapon design, DOD weaponeering/effects support, Defense Systems program, net Assessment and integrated deterrence and technology competition. You will lead the definition, development, and deployment of analytic approaches to nuclear weapon and defense issues using various approaches, including modeling and simulation, wargaming, Structured interviews and surveys, tabletop exercises, graph theory, portfolio analysis, optimization, and machine learning.
This position will be filled at either the SEL.4 or SEL.5 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Recruit and hire as needed to build a capability that meets Section, Division, and programmatic staffing needs.
- Supervise, provide technical and administrative direction/guidance, career counseling and development, mentoring, coaching, and support to group members.
- Build and maintain an inclusive group culture consistent with Laboratory policies.
- Participate in Division meetings, provide leadership through routine group and one on one meetings, participate in strategic planning and performance management.
- Develop and serve the group’s customer base by maintaining a close interface with programmatic and project elements.
- Collaborate with project and program leaders within Laboratory to anticipate and meet technical needs.
- Ensure quality of work and promote effective teamwork within the group.
- Serve as primary point of contact for communications between group members, Division, and Directorate management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SEL.5 level
- Develop research and development initiatives for external sponsorship and for internally-supported LDRD and Tech Base projects.
- Formulate a long-term strategic plan for research and development that will provide state-of-the-art capabilities to further the mission of LLNL.
- Provide subject matter expert capability broadly across LLNL defense programs.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Master of Science Degree in Operations Research, Electrical Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or a related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Subject matter expertise in a variety of modeling and simulation tools such as FSIM and JCATS.
- Subject matter expertise in one or more of the following areas: modeling and simulation, wargaming, Structured interviews and surveys, tabletop exercises, graph theory, portfolio analysis, optimization, and machine learning.
- Expert-level elicitation skills to work with subject matter experts to define, document, and manage requirements.
- Significant experience recruiting, training, motivating, and building highly complex interdisciplinary teams to work towards programmatic and institutional goals.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to lead a team, advise senior management, and to positively represent the Program and the Laboratory.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.5 level
- Extensive experience in the leadership of technical projects, project planning, and execution.
- Extensive experience and demonstrated ability to apply, lead, and/or develop cutting‐edge principles, theories, concepts, and technologies.
- Nationally recognized expert in state‐of‐the‐art technologies in one or more of the following areas: modeling and simulation, wargaming, Structured interviews and surveys, tabletop exercises, graph theory, portfolio analysis, optimization, and machine learning.
- Extensive experience in developing new scientific programs and research proposals for internal and external funding.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Operations Research, Electrical Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or a related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Knowledge of DOD, NNSA, and IC functions, missions, and needs.
- Experience with performance reviews, ranking, and salary management processes.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.