Linux Systems Administrator
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 08/17/2023
Job Code: 393.1 Systems & Network Associate / 393.2 Systems & Network Sr Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$104,220.00 - $129,384.00 Annually for the 393.1 level
$126,120.00 - $156,576.00 Annually for the 393.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Linux Systems Administrator. You will work with a team to design, build, maintain, and support range of enterprise-wide Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) management services. This position is in the Information Technology Solutions (ITSD) Division within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Perform day-to-day operations support functions, including problem isolation and resolution while using a high degree of independent discretion and judgment.
- Contribute to institutional adoption of new RHEL releases. Including developing and testing build scripts, core applications, baseline configurations, and integrations with broader IT environment.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of security guidelines and compliance (CIS Benchmark, DISA STIG, etc). Including evaluating impact and risk, testing and validation.
- Develop, maintain, and support complex Ansible playbooks.
- Create and maintain RPM packages for custom software deployments and updates.
- Utilize scripting languages such as Bash and Python to automate operational tasks.
- Create and update kickstart files to automate configuration of RedHat Linux installations.
- Configure, operate, and update RedHat satellite services in complex multi-organizational environment.
- Support other operational tasks as needed to ensure secure and reliable environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 393.2 level
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve complex service-related problems.
- Serve as a technical leader in area of expertise, providing highly advanced technical assistance to customers.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Computer Science, Information Technology, or Engineering related field or equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of and technical experience with Linux operating systems and related hardware.
- Experience with complex troubleshooting in a Linux environment.
- Advanced ability to set priorities and independently resolve complex problems.
- Strong bash/shell scripting skills.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience distributing and enforcing standard configurations.
- Proficient interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills, with the ability to work independently and interact with a multi-disciplinary staff in a team environment.
Additional qualifications at the 393.2 level
- Highly advanced knowledge of and significant technical experience with Linux operating systems, virtual environments, and/or related hardware.
- Extensive experience working independently to plan and schedule workload, establish priorities, and collaborate with high-level technical personnel.
- Significant experience as a technical lead on advanced projects, achieving positive results, and driving projects to closure, on time and on budget.
Qualifications We Desire
- Linux operating systems and computer security concepts and practices, and computer network hardware/software protocols and principles.
- Experience with writing advanced shell scripts.
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies: SPLUNK, Tenable Security Scanner, Nessus, Ansible or equivalent, Nagios, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), RHN Satellite, Kickstart, PKI authentications, Active Directory (Samba, Winbind, SSS, Realm), GIT, DNS, Python, Perl, BASH, Docker and other container technologies.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.