Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 08/15/2023
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance with Sensitive Compartmented Information access (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$153,210 - $196,788 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for a Computational Physicist/Engineer to work on next-generation fissile materials production modeling and simulation using state-of-the-art adaptive computing technologies to integrate models with advanced data analytics and machine learning. You will develop models to enable simulation of proliferation processes, detection of early signatures, and accurate assessment of possible proliferation activities. This position is in the Applied Physics Section in the Physics Division.
- Learn underlying physics and operational procedure of existing suite of computational models for fissile-materials production.
- Enhance existing and develop new computational models for processes and components associated with fissile materials production using a new adaptive computing environment, coupled to high-performance computing capabilities, as needed.
- Use hierarchy of complex computational models to provide expert input and technical advice to national security nuclear analysts.
- Apply machine learning and statistical analysis to computer simulation outputs to couple simulation codes, to perform and analyze large-scale statistical studies, and to generate synthetic for machine-learning models.
- Maintain an awareness of technical literature in assigned areas.
- Periodically, prepare written analyses and verbal briefings that capture and communicate research results.
- Publish research results in technical and/or peer-reviewed scientific journals, and present results at technical meetings and/or external conferences.
- Occasional travel as necessary to interact with sponsors and collaborators.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q/SCI-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in Nuclear Engineering, Physics, Chemical Engineering, Computational Sciences, related field or the equivalent combination of education and significant professional experience.
- Ability to develop complex computer codes.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in developing computational models and simulations.
- Experience with artificial intelligence, machine learning, and/or data analytics.
- Significant experience authoring technical and scientific reports, publications and delivering scientific presentations.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management and external sponsors.
- Ability to travel off-site for sponsor and collaborator interaction.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with adaptive computation environments and/or high-performance computing.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience with the scientific and technological issues associated with national security in one or more of the following areas: nuclear fuel cycle, advanced technology/process model development, isotope production, data analytics, fluid flow, industrial chemical facilities, foreign weapon programs, or related emerging technologies.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.