Nondestructive Evaluation Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/15/2023
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$153,210 - $196,788 Annually for the SES.3 level
$183,840 - $236,112 Annually for the SES.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Nondestructive Evaluation Engineers within the Nondestructive Evaluation Group (NDE). You will perform independent research using experimental tools and analytical methods to understand structure and properties of uniform or nonuniform articles, often topologically complex and extremely heterogeneous. You will work with characterization techniques including interrogation with x-rays and neutrons (with an emphasis on computed tomography), acoustic (ultrasonic) signals, and microwaves. These positions are in the Materials Engineering Division (MED).
These positions will be filled at either the SES.3 or SES.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Conduct research and development in novel approaches for complex x-ray imaging, ultrasound, optical or microwave characterization, computed tomography and metrology, identifying appropriate nondestructive evaluation techniques to solve customer inspection needs.
- Analyze complex data from radiation application nondestructive evaluation tests including real-time radiography, digital radiography and computed tomography.
- Perform simulations of x-ray, optical or ultrasound characterization geometries and scenarios.
- Work closely with engineers, technicians, and integration experts from LLNL and its sponsors in all aspects of device and system development.
- Develop and lead small teams consisting of engineers, scientists, and technicians.
- Organize, analyze and, present research data results to sponsors, technical community, and management.
- Prepare and present proposals for new projects to Lab management and subject matter experts.
- Pursue independent research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job duties at the SES.4 Level
- Develop highly advanced programs and expand capabilities within the NDE group to enable substantial, programmatically relevant measurements to be made.
- Lead multi-person teams addressing highly complex problems using complementary analytical and experimental tools.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Master’s Degree in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Significant experience with and advanced knowledge of one or more of the following areas: x-ray imaging, acoustics and ultrasound, signal processing, image processing, microwave characterization, computed tomography, or reconstruction methods.
- Significant range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution, including analytical techniques, ideally in computed tomography.
- Ability to develop independent research projects under minimal direction.
- Experience leading and setting technical direction for a team.
- Successful publication of scientific and/or technical peer-reviewed literature.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Initiative, interpersonal skills, and the ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.4 Level
- Subject matter expertise in one of more of the following areas: x-ray imaging, acoustics and ultrasound, signal processing, image processing, microwave characterization, computed tomography, or reconstruction methods.
- Experience leading multi-person teams, developing successful proposals under consultative direction while meeting technically challenging deliverables that require the ability to significantly advance novel approaches to nondestructive evaluation.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now