Industrial Ventilation Engineer
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 08/15/2023
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$153,210 - $196,788 Annually for the SES.3 level
$183,840 - $236,112 Annually for the SES.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for an Industrial Ventilation Engineer to participate in designing, redesigning, and optimizing new and ongoing projects associated with systems, structures, and components at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL). This position will be assigned to the Safety Engineering Functional Area (SEFA) and will provide technical expertise and support to multiple clients as an integral member of the Environment, Safety, and Health (ES&H) Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Guide the successful completion of projects and contribute to the development of organizational goals and exerts significant influence on major organizational objectives.
- Represent the organization as the technical resource on tasks and projects and serve on internal technical/advisory committees and may serve on external committees.
- Research, design, and redesign mechanical ventilation equipment for both large and small projects, to include structural, thermal, hydraulic, or dynamics modeling of mechanical systems.
- Develop and oversee all aspects of production including room and equipment layout, computer modeling, selection of suitable manufacturers and equipment, performance testing, and installation of products and systems.
- Conduct technical or operational tasks projects and/or support research efforts and provide technical strategy and direction for self and/or others.
- Provide solutions; to complex issues/problems that require in-depth analysis and frequent use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Prepare supporting health and safety documentation that is aligned with the Integrated Safety Management (ISM) requirement and participate in design and Management Prestart Reviews.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Provide solutions to highly complex issues/problems that require in-depth analysis of multiple tangible and intangible factors and where a high degree of ambiguity exists around techniques and approaches.
- Use independent judgment and considerable latitude to establish and accomplish objectives.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Demonstrated experience in mechanical ventilation engineering, including advanced knowledge of and aptitude toward structural design, airflow validation and management, particulate capture, control of worker exposure levels to airborne chemicals and contaminants to levels below applicable occupational exposure limits and action levels, air cooling/thermal management, thermal dynamics, fluid mechanics and heat transfer.
- Advanced application and development of technical, business, or operational principles, theories, concepts, and techniques to independently contribute to technical projects or support of programs using creativity and innovation.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills, including the ability to direct and mentor other team members.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical or operational information and provide advice to management, regulators, reviewers, and stakeholders.
- Advanced analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend and implement actions/solutions for moderately complex problems.
- Advanced experience working independently and in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people and organizations, managing complex projects, and meeting schedules.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Expert level application and development of technical, business, or operational principles, theories, concepts, and techniques to independently contribute to technical projects or support of programs using creativity and innovation.
- Subject matter expert knowledge of highly advanced concepts of mechanical ventilation design and analysis.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise senior management, external sponsors, regulators, reviewers, and stakeholders.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s or PhD in Mechanical Engineering or a related field.
- Professional Engineer license.
- Advanced knowledge of systems engineering principles and practices and their application.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.