DevOps Engineer (Mid-Career)
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 08/14/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$127,680 - $163,968 Annually for the SES.2 level
$153,210 - $196,788 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
Do you loath doing the same task over and over? Do you enjoy streamlining processes through automation? As a DevOps Engineer, your focus will be on automating all things! You will help automate our infrastructure and assist researchers in automating their research applications and tools used for performing state of the art research leveraging cloud native technologies. If you are looking to effect change and make an impact from the ground up, keep reading.
We have an opening for an experienced DevOps Engineer to develop and support a robust, scalable, and operational on-prem cloud native infrastructure that enables 24x7 operations. This position is in the Global Security Computing Applications (GS-CAD) Division in Computing, matrixed to the Global Security Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Contribute to the architecture of a DevOps infrastructure that meets requirements for 24x7 uptime, and efficient, frequent software delivery.
- Function as a team member while architecting, implementing, and managing infrastructure utilizing configuration management tools, such as, Ansible or Puppet, to configure Linux cluster environments that implement moderately complex operational and security requirements.
- Identify, design, implement, and manage Docker/Kubernetes virtualization infrastructure in Linux, to support moderately complex to complex operational, development, and security requirements.
- Investigate and participate in the deployment of infrastructure monitoring, alerting and logging tools for the DevOps infrastructure.
- Document and version control the IT infrastructure, using Infrastructure as Code tools; track/report work status in tickets using Gitlab.
- Support and improve CI/CD system used for automating cluster deployments.
- Implement automation tools to help with deploying, troubleshooting and maintaining cluster environments.
- Design, implement and manage build and release pipelines.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Develop repeatable software stacks used for their research and automate their deployment and configuration across multiple environments working with researchers.
- Incorporate security checks and audits into CI/CD system working with security teams.
- Extend Kubernetes to help simplify usage, operations and user applications.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad experience providing innovative approaches and applying new technologies to broadly defined tasks and projects.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience distributing and enforcing standard configurations for clusters leveraging configuration management tools, such as, Ansible or Puppet.
- Experience performing Kubernetes administration, including tasks such as, installation, networking, security, troubleshooting, and monitoring.
- Broad experience with software development or system administration using scripting languages (e.g., Python, Bash, Perl, Ruby, Groovy).
- Ability to set priorities and independently resolve complex problems in a fast-paced environment.
- Sufficient interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel and ability to work independently, under limited direction, in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Advanced knowledge of and significant technical experience with Linux operating systems, virtual environments (Vagrant, VMware or Ovirt), containerized environments (Docker, Podman or Kubernetes) and/or related hardware.
- Experience architecting, implementing and maintaining build and release pipelines leveraging CI/CD systems.
- Significant experience as a technical lead on advanced projects, achieving positive results, and driving projects to closure, on time and on budget with advanced analytical skills to analyze complex systems and networks.
Qualifications We Desire
- Certification in container orchestration systems (e.g., Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD), and/or Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA).
- Experience deploying and managing production Kubernetes clusters running on on-prem hardware.
- Significant experience with configuration management systems, such as, Ansible, Puppet, Chef or Salt.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.