Linux Systems Architect - ACTIVE SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIRED
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 08/14/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$127,680 - $163,968 Annually for the SES.2 level
$153,210 - $196,788 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Linux Systems Architect to provide technical computer support for systems in a heterogeneous enterprise environment to solve a variety of moderately complex technical problems in a timely manner. This position is in the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division supporting the Field Intelligence Element (FIE) within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Design, develop, and implement shared services, workflows and processes on premises (VMware), using containers (Docker/Kubernetes) and /or Cloud infrastructure including AWS (e.g., EC2, EBS, S3, etc.) or Azure.
- Work cross-functionally to create and document requirements, develop, and deliver solutions.
- Provide systems and public/private cloud expertise across the organization for addressing operational issues as well as supporting engineering activities.
- Design, develop, and implement system applications and infrastructure services including hardware integration, configuration, and software development.
- Modify and maintain existing operating systems, applications and infrastructure.
- Define and document requirements for hardware and software upgrades on platform system components.
- Identify deficiencies in current system designs and recommend solutions. Identify system scaling limitations and recommend and implement improvements.
- Investigate, evaluate, and recommend emerging technologies to improve service, reduce cost, and improve scalability.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Manage multiple advanced parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders to ensure deadlines are met, while leveraging team members’ skills.
- Apply in-depth technical expertise to solve complex technical problems and develop solutions using judgment in determining methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria.
- Develop tools and procedures to facilitate complex automation efforts as well as cross-platform/environment monitoring solutions.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration with a concentration in Computer Information Systems, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience (e.g., approximately 7+ years).
- Experience with Linux fundamentals including TCP/IP networking and common infrastructure services (DNS, DHCP, SNMP, NTP, HTTP, LDAP, Kerberos, Radius, SMTP).
- Experience with configuration management tools (Puppet, Chef, Ansible).
- Experience with software performance tuning, configuration optimization, packaging (RPM), and systems integration.
- Experience programming with scripting languages (e.g., Perl, Python, Shell, PHP).
- Experience with virtualization technologies including hypervisors (e.g., Xen, KVM) containers (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes), and Public Cloud technologies (e.g., Azure/AW) including security, compliance, and automation.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability to participate in quarterly weekend and off-hour support for outages.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Significant experience in all phases of the software development lifecycle.
- Significant experience with security and configuration standards (CIS, STIGs or equivalent).
- Experience as a technical project leader.
Qualifications We Desire
- Database installation and management experience (e.g., MySQL, MariaDB, Oracle, PostgreSQL).
- Professional Certifications (e.g., VMware VCA or VCP-DCV, CompTIA A+, RedHat RHCSA, Ansible AWS).
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.