Techno-Economic Systems Analyst
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/14/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$127,680 - $163,968 Annually for the SES.2 level
$153,210 - $196,788 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We are seeking Techno-Economic Systems Analysts with backgrounds in physical and life sciences, information sciences, engineering, operations research, science and technology policy analysis, economics, or decision analytics to provide techno-economic analysis. The selected candidate will initially focus on the analysis of inertial fusion energy (IFE) power plants, but will also support various technologies under investigation by the Department of Energy, National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), and/or other U.S. Government partners. As a Techno-Economic Systems Analyst you will work with experienced LLNL scientists and engineers and contribute to analyses that provide insights to inform near and long-term strategy and technology decisions.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Support the development of scientific models that can be used to evaluate physics, engineering, and economic tradeoffs for IFE power plants.
- Support the establishment of a science and technology roadmap for refining techno-economic models with the latest results from LLNL National Ignition Facility (NIF) experiments.
- Support the evaluation of requirements and guidance for various IFE plants using various technical approaches.
- Contribute to cross-functional and multi-disciplinary teams to solve technical problems.
- Provide solutions to problems related to modeling and simulation, or other technical analyses.
- Contribute to the development of analytical frameworks that provide insight to customers on various challenges.
- Determine methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria using independent judgment.
- Contribute information and findings from studies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Provide solutions that require in‐depth analysis of multiple tangible and intangible factors and the creative use of established methods.
- Routinely interact with professional colleagues, mid‐level management, and sponsors across and outside Laboratory.
- Guide the successful completion of projects and contribute to the development of organizational goals.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Master’s degree in physical science, engineering, operations research, economics or a related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Ability to use and/or develop models (e.g., discrete event simulation models, cost models, process models, etc.) that provide insight to various issues at the intersection of technology development and economic investment decisions.
- Science and technology knowledge and/or ability to understand issues related to IFE, including laser physics, plasma physics, target fabrication, reactor engineering, and high-energy density physics.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Econometrics and the ability to understand issues related to the economic tradeoffs of various technical approaches and how they change from research and development to at-scale deployment.
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities and meet deadlines that are important to project success.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Significant experience providing innovative approaches and applying new technical approaches to broadly defined tasks and projects.
- Advanced knowledge and experience applying effective analytical and problem-solving skills to complex problems.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Degree in Nuclear Engineering with a focus on fusion energy.
- Competence in one or more scientific programming languages or statistical analysis tools.
- Experience conducting techno-economic analyses.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.