Nuclear Enterprise Systems Analyst
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/14/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$127,680 - $163,968 Annually for the SES.2 level
$153,210 - $196,788 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a nuclear enterprise systems analyst to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. You will work with multi-disciplinary teams to deliver software and analytic capabilities on topics of importance to the nuclear enterprise, including infrastructure, workforce, and stockpile modeling and modernization program planning. This position supports the Associate Program Leader for Nuclear Weapons Evaluation and Planning within the Weapons Infrastructure Program and reports administratively to the Systems and Policy Analysis Group in Engineering’s Computational Engineering Division.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Work closely with a team of systems analysts, engineers, computer scientists, and program management to design and productionize nuclear enterprise analytics tools, including those for current stockpile modernization programs.
- Contribute to development of mathematical models for applications in nuclear stockpile, infrastructure, and workforce domains, including code development.
- Contribute to analysis on topics of relevance to the nuclear enterprise, including participating in engagement of stakeholders and supporting decision making.
- Support efforts to collect, catalog, and interpret nuclear enterprise data for use in mathematical models, including population of databases and use of visualization tools.
- Participate in the Nuclear Enterprise Working Group and engage other team members to share relevant knowledge, opinions, and recommendations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Build and maintain effective collaborations and working relationships with the NNSA and DOD enterprise modeling communities, including independent engagement with relevant decision makers on analytic topics and in support of decision making.
- Lead teams in the development of mathematical models for applications in nuclear stockpile, infrastructure, and workforce domains, including code development.
- Develop creative program growth opportunities through interactions with current and potential sponsors and creation of proposals.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Master’s degree in operations research, mathematics, statistics, engineering, computer science, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and broad experience developing software applications with either Python, Perl, Visual Basic for Applications, C++, or Java within Windows or Linux environments.
- Experience applying analytical skills to research, interpret, analyze, compile, visualize, and present technical and business data and information.
- Experience effectively managing concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities and meeting deadlines that are important to project success.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills to prepare, present, and document technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Significant experience leading and/or motivating multidisciplinary teams and collaborating.
- Experience working as a project coordinator and/or principal investigator of projects with competing priorities, loosely defined deliverables, and high visibility.
Qualifications We Desire
- Ph.D. in operations research, mathematics, statistics, engineering, computer science, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Demonstrated familiarity with the structure of the nuclear enterprise, including the National Nuclear Security Administration and related areas of the Department of Defense.
- Experience working with relational database languages, such as SQL, and visualization applications, such as Tableau or PowerBI.
- Experience with full stack web development.
- Experience with big data analytics and/or working in a High-Performance Computing environment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.