Quantum Information Systems - Laboratory Specialist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 08/14/2023
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$106,440 - $136,680 Annually for the SES.1 level
$127,680 - $163,968 Annually for the SES.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a laboratory specialist in the field of superconducting quantum information science (QIS) and quantum sensing in the Quantum Coherent Device Physics group. You will work with a diverse team of scientists and engineers to bring cutting-edge research projects to fruition. You will handle sensitive cutting-edge quantum technologies, design and install quantum processors and sensors, maintain laboratory documentation and general organization, perform maintenance of cryogenic and vacuum systems, design custom cryogenic fixtures, test/assemble and general troubleshoot low voltage electronics, work with device networks over TCP/IP, and work with radio frequency and optical systems. The group falls under the Condensed Matter Section of the Physics Division and operates a full quantum science laboratory, including the LLNL Quantum Device and Intergration Testbed (QuDIT) and cleanroom device fabrication facility.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Work in a collaborative environment with people having a variety of backgrounds, experience, and ideas.
- Provide general laboratory support to assist in maintenance, planning, procurement, and organization of a cryogenic laboratory working in state-of-the-art research in the area of QIS.
- Install, handle, and operate sensitive electronics, equipment, and devices associated with QIS technologies including, high-speed electronics, radio frequency interconnects, optical systems, and maintain excellent laboratory documentation and records
- Design custom mechanical and electrical components according to staff specifications and assist with general wiring and troubleshooting the radio-frequency, DC and /or optical connections to quantum devices.
- Fabricate, assemble, and disassemble printed circuit boards, electronic devices and experimental apparatus using standard hand tools, soldering, test, and measurement equipment
- Wire/load experimental apparatus into dilution refrigerators as well as perform necessary maintenance, including using cryogens
- Present informal reports of laboratory status at weekly meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Work independently to enhance cryostat testbed operation by improving thermalization, electrical grounding, etc.
- Calibrate and troubleshoot quantum processing units using RF electronics
- Pursue research into quantum information system engineering and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Write Python-based drivers for equipment interfacing
- Device fabrication in cleanroom facility
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship
- BA or Masters in physics, electrical engineering, or mechanical engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Sufficient experience with CAD, SolidWorks, or similar software, and mechanical design
- Ability to learn new skills and take on new responsibilities as experience develops
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers and other technical and administrative staff
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment, and present and explain technical information
- Demonstrated ability to work independently on technical tasks, organization skills to prioritize workload, manage multiple competing priorities, and keep track of long-term task.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Broad experience with dilution refrigerators or other cryogenic systems
- Broad experience tuning and calibrating superconducting quantum processors
- Cleanroom fabrication experience, superconducting device fabrication
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience maintaining and managing a laboratory or makerspace.
- Experience with cryogenics, vacuum, and mechanical systems, CAD design
- Knowledge of electrical engineering concepts related to design, assembly, calibration, and testing of analog and digital electrical systems
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.