Distribution Grid Engineer - Modeling and Simulation
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/14/2023
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$106,440 - $136,680 Annually for the SES.1 level
$127,680 - $163,968 Annually for the SES.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity
We have multiple openings for Electrical Engineers to conduct basic and applied research in distribution system modeling and simulation. The successful candidates will bring a strong track record in the areas of electrical power distribution systems modeling and simulation and have experience with simulation software, such as CYMDIST, Synergee, Gridlab-D or OpenDSS for distribution system analysis. The successful candidates will support LLNL’s Cyber and Infrastructure Resilience (CIR) program growing research portfolio in electric grid infrastructure. The successful candidates will participate in collaborative research projects funded by the Department of Energy, the State of California, and private sectors. These positions are in the Computational Engineering Division (CED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.1 or SES.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Conduct research in distribution grid modeling and simulation which creates and implements new state-of- the-art algorithms.
- Support complex research projects with competing priorities and implement advanced research concepts in a multidisciplinary team environment where dedication and deadlines are important to project success.
- Partner with other Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) scientists and engineers to bring research results to practical use in LLNL Global Security programs.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Co-author refereed scientific papers and reports and deliver presentations for audiences internal and external to LLNL.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Balance multiple projects/tasks and priorities of customers and partners to ensure deadlines are met, while working independently with minimal direction within scope of the assignment.
- Lead various highly complex projects, effectively leveraging the skills of team members. Serve as a mentor for other staff and assist in recruiting efforts.
- Routinely serve as a technical point of contact with sponsors and partners and participate in development of new program business.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Master’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with simulation software, such as CYMDIST, Synergee, Gridlab-D or OpenDSS for distribution system analysis.
- Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: distribution automation and operations, distribution planning, modeling and simulation.
- Record of technical achievements.
- Ability to use standard programming languages to support modeling analysis and visualization for distributed grid.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills needed to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, document work, prepare and present successful proposals and high-quality research papers, and provide advice to management.
- Ability to travel off-site, including potentially internationally, for sponsor and customer interaction.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Comprehensive knowledge and broad experience in the application and development in one or more of the following areas: distribution automation, distribution planning, modeling and simulation.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Significant experience working with utilities, Department of Energy (DOE), and other relevant state government agencies.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.