Senior Product Realization Team (PRT) Leader - Active Security Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/10/2023
Job Code: SEL.3 Science & Engineering TSL 3 / SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$165,570 - $212,604 Annually for the SEL.3 level
$198,630 - $255,060 Annually for the SEL.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Product Realization Team (PRT) Leaders supporting the W80-4 Life Extension Program (LEP) and the W87-1 Modernization Program. You will be responsible for delivering final design and qualified production for the components within the specific PRT’s scope in partnership with the NNSA Production Agency and programmatic staff from across the laboratory to include Physics, Chemistry, Quality, and other areas while managing a detailed schedule to ensure delivery on time to support the program. The core mission is to ensure an integrated design is defined, manufacturable, and delivered on schedule while executing PRT activities in accordance with DPBPS requirements and Program guidance. Travel in support of programmatic deliverables is required. These positions will be in Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED). DTED supports the Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Provide the PRT with leadership in project engineering and management, design development, product realization, qualification, and certification.
- Lead and manage PRT engagements with Production Agencies (PAs) executing Nuclear Explosive Package (NEP) manufacturing.
- Direct and assign work to engineering team members and remain cognizant of the technical goals, workload balances, and progress of group projects.
- Define, track, and complete PRT objectives on time and within budget in collaboration with other essential LLNL support personnel. Monitor performance required to meet programmatic milestones and deliverables. Engage to correct deficiencies and lead corrective actions where necessary.
- Represent the PRT at meetings, briefings, and committee activities both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Ensure that PRT risks and requirements are communicated in an effective and timely manner to program leadership.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SEL.4 level
- Influence strategic technical decisions made by program management and external stakeholders based on PRT component domain expertise.
- Mentor staff across the PRT. Advise across the program as an expert in weapon design engineering, 6.X lifecycle processes, PAs, PRTs and product realization, certification, and qualification work.
- Serve as program spokesperson to Laboratory management and/or peers in the Nuclear Security Enterprise.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience with design engineering, 6.X lifecycle processes, PAs, PRTs and product realization, certification, and qualification work.
- Strong knowledge of nuclear warhead engineering, systems, and design.
- Expert knowledge of nuclear designs and production issues related to the Production Agency.
- Expertise with project management tools and techniques, including work planning, scheduling, cost estimating, analyzing, and managing budgets.
- Advanced communication, facilitation, negotiation, and collaboration skills, necessary to present, explain, mediate, compromise, and advise program management and/or external stakeholders.
- Ability to promote and maintain productive relationships across the PRT.
- Experience working independently and responsively to changing priorities and ability to meet deadlines and keep management well informed.
- Ability to travel.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.4 level
- Subject matter expert knowledge of nuclear warhead engineering, systems, and design.
- Expert communication, facilitation, negotiation and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, mediate, compromise, influence, and advise senior management and external stakeholders.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.