Target Fabrication Machinists / Senior Target Fabrication Machinists
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/10/2023
Job Code: 981.2 Senior Machinist I / 981.3 Senior Machinist II
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$39.05 - $48.50 Hourly for the 981.2 level
$46.90 - $58.24 Hourly for the 981.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for a Target Fabrication Machinists / Senior Target Fabrication Machinists to work under general supervision, provide intermediate journeyman skill level manufacturing support to fabricate precision parts, components, and assemblies to customer requirements. You will work with Machinists and project leaders to determine priorities, schedules, and process requirements. This position requires close technical interactions with engineering support and facility personnel and the ability to work closely on a continuing basis as part of a small team. You will be required to perform various operations related to precision machining. Work hours will be aligned with the Target Fabrication Machining Group and will report administratively to the Materials Engineering Division (MED), Manufacturing Target Fabrication Supervisor.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Set up and operate diamond turning & milling machines using CNC machine tools such as Moore Nanotech, Precitech Nanoform and Kern EVO/Micro, to manufacture small, precision laser target parts and assemblies.
- Set up and operate all conventional and most precision and CNC machine tools to manufacture parts, fixtures, and assemblies.
- Perform shop calculations utilizing knowledge of material characteristics to determine optimum feeds, speeds, and dimensions.
- Operate related optical inspection equipment such as, confocal microscopes, and other optical measuring instruments. Using equipment such as Keyence, Zygo, & Veeco.
- Fabricate fixtures and holding devices used during manufacturing processes.
- Perform shop math calculations utilizing knowledge of material characteristics to achieve ultra-precision finishes, dimensions, and overall design intent.
- Design and fabricate fixtures and jigs to be used during a variety of manufacturing processes.
- Establish and plan techniques and procedures to carry out technical assignments and set task priorities.
- Use of Mastercam and or CREO to model and program CNC machine tools.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with safety, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 981.3 level
- Establish and plan techniques and procedures to carry out advanced technical assignments and set task priorities.
- Lead, train, or mentor others by providing regular technical direction and oversight on machine tools, CNC controllers and manufacturing processes.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- High school diploma plus four or more years of directly related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience performing machining operations involving diamond turning and other CNC machine tools.
- Experience performing precision target assembly tasks and operating related manufacturing and measuring equipment.
- Intermediate knowledge of ASME Y14.5M drafting standards (read and interpret blueprints) to produce parts and assemblies.
- Intermediate knowledge of a wide variety of materials and manufacturing processes including some difficult to machine and exotic materials.
- Intermediate level knowledge of CNC programming, machining, planning, and estimating.
- Experience working independently and in a team environment.
Additional qualifications at the 981.3 level
- Experience performing advanced machining operations involving diamond turning and other CNC machine tools.
- Advanced level knowledge of CNC programming, machining, planning, and estimating.
- Effective written, verbal and feedback communication skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- Diamond Turning and machining experience.
- Familiarity working independently and working on a technical project team.
- Familiarity with Mastercam CNC programming.
- Familiarity with managing LLNL ES&H and Security policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with 5-axis programing and machining.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.