Vacuum Coating Tech/Sr. Tech - Mechanical Technologist/Senior Technologist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/10/2023
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$39.05 - $48.50 Hourly for the 533.2 level
$46.90 - $58.24 Hourly for the 533.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Vacuum Coating Technologists/Senior Technologists working in the Vacuum Processing Laboratory (VPL) Groups. You will provide technical support for ongoing programmatic activities with vacuum coating systems, including designing, assembling, and operating deposition systems, fixturing for existing systems, and upgrading vacuum equipment. You will work independently or with engineers/scientists/technical staff to perform moderately complex to complex equipment setup, operations, maintenance, and system testing. Tasks may include but are not limited to equipment set up and operation; general troubleshooting and maintenance; minor modification of basic fabrication utilizing common tools and equipment. This work will involve being trained and authorized to work with hazardous materials. These positions are in the Material Engineering Division (MED) within the Engineering directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Provide general technical support maintaining and modifying/installing vacuum systems components working under general supervision.
- Maintain and operate Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) and other vacuum systems equipment, including electron beam and magnetron sputtering systems for thin film development to process parts and acquire data as needed.
- Use software to produce supportive documentation and graphics.
- Follow and adhere to written, operational, and safety procedures while completing job assignments.
- Apply intermediate knowledge of relevant technologies and processes, including interpreting and utilizing laboratory equipment to solve system or mechanical problems.
- Operate experimental and diagnostic equipment in the execution of experiments under general supervision.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.3 level
- Provide advanced technical support maintaining vacuum systems, modifying/installing vacuum components, fabricate materials/components/operations for complex systems under minimal supervision.
- Apply advanced knowledge to interpret and operate vacuum system equipment to solve complex system/mechanical problems.
- Maintain regular, independent interaction with project leads, scientists, engineers, and technical personnel to train/mentor staff to identify, evaluate, and analyze requirements and processes.
- Set priorities, schedules, and requirements to solve complex mechanical and operational problems.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associates degree in engineering, mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing technology, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience; or a technology related certificate or diploma with related work experience and related course work; or equivalent combination of education and experience in a technical or engineering field that includes mechanical training.
- Intermediate skills and experience general machine shop equipment e.g., mills, lathes, and cutting equipment, hand tools and precision measurement equipment such as torque wrenches calipers, micrometers, and height gages.
- Experience of vacuum technologies, thin film analytical equipment/processes, and using PVD systems.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Possess effective written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with personal computers and associated software such as Microsoft Office Suite.
Additional qualifications at the 533.3 level
- Experience working with materials, characterization, and data acquisition techniques related to vapor deposition processes.
- Significant experience of vacuum technologies, thin film analytical equipment/processes using PVD systems.
- Significant experience using machine shop equipment and precision measurement equipment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience reading and interpreting complex drawings and procedures.
- Experience working with hazardous materials.
- Experience with Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW)/Tungsten Inert Gas (TIG) welding.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.