Engineering Mechanical Technologist - Mid/Senior - Autonomous Sensors
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/10/2023
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$39.05 - $48.50 Hourly for the 533.2 level
$46.90 - $58.24 Hourly for the 533.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Mechanical Technologist to support programmatic work within the Autonomous Sensors group within the Defense Systems Program. You will work in a multidisciplinary team to design, develop, and deploy novel technologies within the Global Security and Engineering Directorates. Occasional overtime and travel will be required. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and maintain moderately complex mechanical components and systems.
- Machine components using conventional lathe, mill, and other manufacturing process machines.
- Use CAD, engineering, and scientific programs on computer systems to produce supportive documentation and graphics.
- Apply fundamental knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes in the solution of moderately complex mechanical problems.
- Provide general mechanical technical support to engineering, scientific, and technical staff to plan and conduct experiments at LLNL and other off-site locations.
- Ensure that support and experimental areas are kept clean, uncluttered, and in a state of readiness.
- Contribute to the fulfillment of technical projects and organizational objectives, functioning as an effective team member on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.3 level
- Provide advanced mechanical or electro-mechanical design and drafting support where overall design parameters and specifications have been established.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble complex mechanical components and systems including planning, equipment selection, and methods.
- Identify, analyze, and provide solutions and alternate approaches to complex mechanical or electro-mechanical problems using independent creativity and judgment.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate's degree in: mechanical, industrial, manufacturing, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Ability to read and follow engineering notes, sketches, drawings, specifications, and procedures.
- Intermediate skills and understanding of fabrication, machine tool technology, operation of conventional machine tools, and inspection techniques.
- Intermediate technical skills and fundamental knowledge of engineering principles to solve moderately complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Ability to complete and maintain certifications, such as a FAA Part 107 pilot license, as required by the position and to lift 50 lbs in a safe and controlled manner.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability to travel as needed for instrument testing, integration, and operations.
Additional qualifications at the 533.3 level
- Advanced skills and experience with machine tool technology, operation of conventional machine tools, and inspection techniques.
- Experience making decisions regarding a variety of complex technical problems and experience providing technical mentorship.
- Significant experience working independently on complex technical assignments and proven ability to meet project requirements and deadlines.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working under LLNL work control processes.
- Experience designing and fabricating for vehicle systems, unmanned aerial systems, or other mobile platforms.
- Current FAA Part 107 pilot’s license.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.