Electronics Technologist - Pulsed Power
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/10/2023
Job Code: 531.2 Technologist-Electronics / 531.3 Sr Technologist-Electronics
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$39.05 - $48.50 Hourly for the 531.2 level
$46.90 - $58.24 Hourly for the 531.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for an Electronics Technologist to provide technical support to professional and/or more advanced electronics technical personnel in the Pulsed Power field in a research environment. Under general supervision, you will provide technical support in the design, development, construction, testing, troubleshooting, and evaluation of high voltage and high current pulse power systems and experiments. You will operate and maintain experimental, research, and prototype equipment associated with electronics and will fabricate and calibrate various unique diagnostic sensors. You will be responsible for working safely, independently in a technical lab environment and around High Explosives. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Provide design and update details where lacking and recommend modifications to electronic circuits and systems designs.
- Prepare instructional guides for fabricating, repairing, calibrating, and maintaining equipment and systems.
- Provide general electronics technical support using appropriate electronics test methods and equipment.
- Diagnose, debug, test, evaluate, design, upgrade, maintain, and repair moderately complex electronics.
- systems, instrumentation, controls, data acquisition, and test equipment.
- Set up experiments, acquire, and analyze data and test results using known performance.
- parameters to report results and identify problems.
- Contribute to moderately complex preliminary design concepts and engineering decision processes.
- Travel to support project needs and deadlines.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 531.3 level
- Provide advanced electronic design and update details and recommend modifications to electronic circuits and system designs.
- Develop and write instructional guides for fabricating, repairing, calibrating, and maintaining equipment and systems.
- Prepare data and test results, identify problems, suggest solutions, and present test results in meetings.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate's degree in electronics technology or related field, or equivalent combination of education and some related experience.
- Intermediate skills, knowledge, and abilities in electronics technology including general electronics background in both theory and design.
- Ability to apply general electronic knowledge to a breadth of electronic circuits and systems.
- Familiarity with basic R&D laboratory instrumentation (oscilloscopes, function generators, TDRs, network/spectrum analyzers, etc.) and measurement techniques.
- Ability to apply attention-to-detail while working on high-value or safety-critical assets.
- Effective interpersonal skills and experience working independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team, to achieve goals.
- Ability to solve moderately complex analytical problems.
- Possess effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively handling multiple assignments concurrently.
- Ability to travel.
Additional qualifications at the 531.3 level
- Advanced skills, knowledge, and abilities with significant experience in electronics technology in background in both theory and design.
- Advanced ability to apply electronic knowledge to a breadth of electronic circuits and systems.
- Possess effective written, verbal, feedback, and presentation communication skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of LLNL policies and procedures.
- Experience in data analysis using tools such as Excel, MATLAB, etc.
- Basic knowledge of materials science.
- Advanced skills and experience developing pulsed power systems.
- Experience developing conceptual and detail designs of Pulsed Power experiments.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.