Chem Tech/Senior Tech â Chemistry and Materials Science Technologist/Senior Technologist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/10/2023
Job Code: 504.2 Technologist - C/MS / 504.3 Sr Technologist - C/MS
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$39.05 - $48.50 Hourly for the 504.2 level
$46.90 - $58.24 Hourly for the 504.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Chemistry and Materials Science Technologist/Senior Technologist working in the Plastics Group in the Materials and Nondestructive Evaluation Section (MNDE). You will provide general technical support of new and ongoing programmatic activities working independently or with team members performing equipment setup, operations, maintenance, and system testing. Tasks may include, but are not limited to, experimental execution, data collection and management of hazardous, radioactive, and other materials and wastes; equipment set up and operation; general troubleshooting and maintenance supporting new and ongoing programmatic experiments while practicing good housekeeping in work and office areas. Tasks may include the use of a respirator. Occasional overtime and travel may be required. This position is in the Material Engineering Division (MED) within the Engineering directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Provide solutions to moderately complex technical problems under general supervision.
- Provide general technical analysis and/or processing support in chemical and material sampling, sample preparation, analysis, and characterization.
- Maintain and operate thermal analysis and mechanical test equipment, including gloveboxes and/or fume hoods.
- Maintain documentation of systems and experimental records which includes: analyzing data, keep a laboratory notebook, prepare data summaries of results, and identify problems.
- Apply basic level skills and knowledge of chemistry/materials science technologies and processes, including interpreting and utilizing laboratory equipment.
- Follow and adhere to written, operational, and safety procedures accordance with ES&H, security, and other laboratory requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 504.3 level
- Provide advanced solutions to complex technical problems under minimal supervision.
- Apply advanced skills and knowledge of technologies to interpret requirements and processes, identify and analyze results.
- May have technical lead authority/responsibilities, set priorities, schedules, and requirements.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate’s degree in chemistry, materials science, engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Elementary understanding of chemistry, materials science, and engineering technologies as applied to specific applications.
- Intermediate level skills and experience operating chemistry/materials science and shop equipment.
- Knowledge of maintaining, calibrating, and measurements using scientific instruments.
- Possess effective written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with personal computers and Microsoft Office software.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment.
Additional qualifications at the 504.3 Level
- Basic understanding of chemistry/materials science technologies as applied to specific applications.
- Advanced skills and experience operating chemistry/materials science equipment.
- Experience maintaining, calibrating, and performing measurements using scientific instruments.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working with HEPA systems, hoods, and gloveboxes.
- Experience with computer-aided design, MATLAB, Minitab, KaleidaGraph, Origin or similar programming/data software.
- Experience wearing respiratory protection equipment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.