Business Operations | livermore, CA | 08/10/2023
Job Code: 369.1 Maintenance/Construction Coord / 369.2 Senior Maint/Construction Coor
Organization: Operations and Business Office
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
- $109,350 - $135,756 Annually for the 369.1 level
- $132,360 - $164,328 Annually for the 369.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Construction Manager. You will provide advanced technical and administrative oversight for execution of the Institutional Services Construction Contract (ICSS) and subcontract construction affecting Laboratory structures, systems, and components. You will have technical responsibility for managing subcontracted construction projects and planning, coordinating, and communicating subcontractor construction activities with the representatives across the laboratory. This position is in the Project Management Office (PMO) supporting the National Ignition Facility (NIF).
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Provide advanced technical and administrative direction, oversight, and solutions in support of LLNL construction projects and activities.
- Collaborate with technical, administrative, and managerial personnel to provide and implement solutions to complex technical issues relating to complex drawings, specifications, and other construction data furnished to subcontractor in accordance with subcontract and LLNL requirements.
- Monitor subcontractor’s safety program for compliance with LLNS-approved project-related safety programs and enforce subcontractor’s adherence to these safety programs.
- Monitor subcontractor’s schedule and proactively manage time-critical issues to ensure project milestones are met, and coordinate/schedule “hold-point” and/or special “safety hold-point” inspection; in addition, monitor and oversee subcontracted characterization efforts.
- Develop project specific logistics plans including waste handling and storage areas and coordinating project waste shipping and disposal.
- Direct the procurement and delivery of government furnished equipment and/or material.
- Review site specific safety plan (SSSP) and job hazards analysis (JHA) for adherence to accepted Laboratory safety policies. Expedite and coordinate the review and approval process of project specific safety documents with LLNL ES&H stakeholders.
- Ensure the subcontractor furnished “testing and commissioning” plan is in accordance with subcontract requirement. Coordinate the commissioning process with LLNL stakeholders, oversee the testing/commissioning activities, and assemble project close-out documentation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 369.2 Level
- Create project specific quality assurance plans and perform/coordinate/direct quality assurance oversight of work in progress, and provide expert level LOTO experience to facilitate, coordinate and oversee complex LOTO activities involving multiple hazards associated in a construction environment.
- Perform experienced level constructability reviews and suggest creative solutions to complex problems; lead preconstruction and/or pre-demolition meetings, weekly coordination meetings, and prepare meeting agendas and minutes.
- Represent LLNS as the subject matter expert in the areas designated within the subcontract including implementing decisions related to construction and/or demolition matters, processing subcontractor-generated documents, requests for information (RFI), and technical submittals.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or equivalent combination of education and experience, or certified construction manager under CMAA; and advanced knowledge and understanding of the construction manager role.
- Advanced knowledge of construction and demolition methods, materials and codes, and ability to read and understand blueprint drawings.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with constructability review of bid packages.
- Significant experience managing construction and demolition projects and budgets.
- Significant experience interpreting and applying applicable local, state, and federal safety standards, codes, laws and regulations, environment, safety, and health policies and procedures, and OSHA regulations to each construction and/or demolition project.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively explain, present and advise all project personnel and customers.
- Proficient and effective personal computer skills using software such as Microsoft Office, MS Project, Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) and timekeeping systems, and construction project management software such as Procore.
In Addition at the 369.2 Level
- Extensive experience managing multiple construction and/or demolition projects and budgets simultaneously, and experience producing and implementing solutions to highly complex engineering-related problems.
- Extensive experience in construction and demolition methods, scheduling, materials, and codes.
- Experience monitoring or directing activities of subordinate staff, teams, or workgroups.
- Experience in the area of construction of major laboratory facilities and buildings.
- Familiarity with LLNL’s Integrated Safety Management System.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.