Superconducting Quantum Information and Sensing - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 08/07/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher in the field of superconducting quantum information and sensing. You will apply expertise in design, characterization, and control of superconducting quantum information systems in support of the LLNL QuDIT testbed facility. We have several positions open and are looking for candidates interested in collaborating with theorists to develop algorithms for the testbed, candidates interested in designing next generation quantum processors for QuDIT, and candidates interested in exploring the material challenges in present day systems. This position is in the Quantum Coherent Device Physics group, Condensed Matter Section of the Physics Division.
- Design, fabricate, and test quantum coherent superconducting hardware.
- Develop and apply quantum processor characterization and control pulses.
- Advance the current state of the art in physically realizable superconducting circuitry.
- Publish research results in external peer-reviewed scientific journals and participate in international conferences.
- Present formal and informal overview of research progress at weekly meetings.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in Experimental Physics or a related field.
- Experience in design, characterization, control, or simulation of superconducting devices.
- Experience in Cryogenic and/or Vacuum systems.
- Experience with control software and data analysis in Python or a similar programming language
- Ability to work independently on technical tasks, influence technical objectives, to provide in depth analysis, and develop unique technical solutions.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers and other technical and administrative staff.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment, prepare written reports and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with Ansys High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS) or Comsol.
- Experience with fabrication and materials characterization of superconducting devices and Josephson junctions.
- Experience with FPGA development and / or quantum optimal control.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.