Inertial Fusion Energy, Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 07/31/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: NIF and Photon Science
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Either no clearance, DOE L or Q clearance depending on assignment. Clearances require U.S. citizenship and a background investigation. Uncleared positions over 179 days may require an investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Postdoctoral Researchers to execute experiments, develop unique diagnostics and diagnostic techniques, and lead frontier research in the area of inertial fusion energy and high-energy-density plasmas (HEDP). This work will take place within the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate, home to the world’s most energetic laser. It is an exciting time to join the team that achieved fusion ignition in December 2022, a historic moment in science, opening up new physics regimes and setting the stage for new fusion energy possibilities.
Areas of active research are inertial confinement fusion physics, high-intensity laser interactions with matter, laser-driven secondary sources, and the development of high-repetition-rate diagnostics, targetry, modeling, and machine learning. These positions are in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science Principal Directorate (NIF&PS PAD).
In this role you will
- Research, design, and execute laser driven experiments at the NIF, OMEGA, LaserNetUS, and other international high power laser facilities.
- Design, field, and coordinate the development of new x-ray, nuclear, or optical diagnostics.
- Use and develop machine learning techniques to perform advanced analysis.
- Author and present technical and scientific reports, presentations, publications, and proposals for internal and external audiences including the DOE community and at conferences.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Coordinate team resources and plan experimental campaigns.
- Pursue independent, but complementary, research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists, internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in plasma physics, nuclear engineering or physics, or related discipline.
- Experience in designing, executing, and analyzing experiments in high-energy density or high-intensity laser experimental physics.
- Ability to perform as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, execution, and analysis.
- Experience developing, calibrating, fielding, and analyzing x-ray, optical, or nuclear plasma diagnostics, or ultrafast laser diagnostics.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills to author technical and scientific reports, publications, invited papers, and proposals, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Effective initiative and interpersonal skills including the ability to work both as part of a collaborative, multi-disciplinary team, as well as the ability to produce independent, original work.
- Ability to think broadly and devise innovative solutions to problems to accomplish objectives.
Qualifications We Desire
- Hands-on experience working at HEDP or laser user facilities.
- Experience with high repetition rate laser systems, experiments, diagnostics, or targetry.
- Experience with data science approaches of machine learning, control augmentation, extreme data algorithms, and/or data-enhanced prediction.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires either no security clearance, or a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level or Q-level clearance depending on the particular assignment.
If you are selected and a security clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L and Q-level clearances require U.S. citizenship.
If no security clearance is required, but your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now