Web Editor/Content Strategist
Public Affairs/Communications | livermore, CA | 05/25/2023
Job Code: G04.3 Tech Communications Spec 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$104,370 - $129,588 Annual (G04.3)
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Web Editor/Content Strategist to support the Executive Communications group in the Office of Strategic Communications (OSC). You will assist with OSC initiatives gathering input from senior leaders in LLNL’s Director’s Office (DO) on integrated communication strategies and deliverables for key institutional priorities. Your work will be performed in collaboration with colleagues in the OSC, the DO and throughout LLNL.
The selected candidate will be responsible for maintaining, contributing to, and overseeing content creation for multiple websites for internal and external audiences with input from stakeholders across the Laboratory. We are looking for a strong writer/editor with project management experience and ability to communicate with executives confidently and succinctly. Other characteristics and qualifications sought are a keen eye for detail; a passion for content integrity and user experience; demonstrated knowledge of HTML; and the ability to work in a content management system (CMS). This position will be in the Technical Information Department matrixed to the Office of Strategic Communication.
In this role you will:
- Oversee all aspects of web-based publishing from concept through production (scheduling, writing/editing, review, publishing); adhere to style guides, accessibility best practices and standards for communication products.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts and managers to plan or update websites, by creating or revising information architecture (IA), adding new webpages or content types (widgets), organizing content and guiding or contributing to content development. Work effectively with all levels of LLNL staff to meet Laboratory communication needs.
- Work closely with web designers and developers to suggest site interactions, determine functionality and create page layouts ensuring unified content experiences including messaging strategy, voice and tone across the user journey.
- Conduct user research to evaluate the effectiveness of web design and IA.
- Work with stakeholders to develop content strategy and governance for the ongoing maintenance of websites ensuring the integrity of the architecture and usability.
- Write, rewrite and edit complex technical and possibly sensitive information into clear, direct and engaging web copy appropriate to target audiences; make edits in content management systems such as WordPress, Liferay and Drupal or like software.
- Execute large complex projects by forming multidisciplinary teams, establishing timelines, assigning and overseeing tasks, liaising with stakeholders and delivering products on time and to a high degree of quality.
- Recommend appropriate media/display styles for content, test electronic materials on appropriate platforms and with appropriate software, and determine website hierarchy for complex, multilayered sites.
- Contribute to the evaluation and implementation of new tools, technologies, and processes; help develop metrics and process improvement methods; may represent organization on working groups or committees.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism, engineering or scientific area, or the equivalent combination of education and experience in the area of technical communication.
- Experience collaborating and communicating with all levels of an organization, including senior managers, to meet organizational/programmatic objectives.
- Significant experience with the process of developing and launching new websites and applying new technologies to websites.
- Experience leading complex projects and managing the work of multidisciplinary teams.
- Experience planning, developing, organizing, and writing content effectively, in order to convey both substance and intent with accuracy across digital platforms. In addition, experience editing complex and/or technical subject matter and leading projects in coordination with other communications professionals.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience using editorial standards, technical communication practices, and effective web communication/language, usage, and style conventions.
- Ability to handle classified, unclassified, sensitive and confidential issues with tact, diplomacy and discretion.
- Experience using Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Creative Cloud and with content management systems (particularly Drupal, Liferay, WordPress); knowledge of web accessibility standards, including W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and Revised 508 Standards; experience conducting usability testing.
- Demonstrated self-starter, comfortable multitasking with ability to work to deadlines and respond to tight schedules in a rapidly changing environment and attend to intense details with high consequence of error. Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work both independently and within a team.
Qualifications we desire:
- Advanced experience in scientific or technical communication working with highly visible and sensitive content.
- Experience creating user tests and conducting user research; knowledge of UI/UX principles, CSS and Bootstrap.
- Understanding of emerging web and design technologies. Knowledge of copyright and privacy regulations.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.