Communications Specialist/Communications Manager
Public Affairs/Communications | livermore, CA | 05/25/2023
Job Code: G04.3 Tech Communications Spec 3 / G04.4 Tech Communications Spec 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
- $104,370 - $129,588 Annual (G04.3)
- $125,160 - $155,400 Annual (G04.4)
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for a Communications Specialist/Communications Manager to support the Executive Communications group in the Office of Strategic Communications (OSC). You will assist with OSC initiatives gathering input from senior leaders in LLNL’s Director’s Office (DO) on integrated communication strategies and deliverables for key institutional priorities. Your work will be performed in collaboration with colleagues in the OSC, the DO and throughout LLNL.
We are seeking an exceptional writer/editor, a problem solver and trusted colleague with experience in strategic communications with the ability to communicate with executives confidently and succinctly. You will work with all levels of management, program leaders, scientists and administrative staff to communicate initiatives, programmatic strategies, and highly complex scientific and technical information to a wide range of technical and non-technical audiences. This position will be in the Technical Information Department matrixed to the Office of Strategic Communications.
The position will be filled at either the GO4.3 or GO4.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will:
- Collaborate and interact with all levels of administrative, management, scientific and technical staff and team members to understand, define, develop and establish objectives to form editorial requirements for complex projects.
- Develop original content, provide writing and editing services and help create and coordinate a full spectrum of communication products (news releases, presentations, administrative memos, reports, external reviews, stakeholder briefings and multimedia content (web copy).
- Interpret complex technical ideas or strategies into clear, accurate, relevant and compelling written communications appropriate to target audiences with an emphasis on impact and effectiveness.
- Work with LLNL senior leaders and the OSC to develop communication materials that recognize the viewpoint of stakeholders and ensure their consistency with Laboratory goals and strategies.
- Partner with managers, team members and peers to define communication strategies, messaging, audiences and key deliverables for a variety of complex and specialized projects to meet programmatic objectives.
- Assist with executive communications planning for short and long-term projects by developing deliverables for high-level strategic communications, managing complex project schedules, tracking resources and coordinating work with others.
- Coordinate complex documents or projects with multiple authors who may be affiliated with other government, international or commercial entities.
- Contribute to the evaluation and implementation of new tools, technologies, and processes; help develop/track metrics and process improvement methods.
- Oversee all aspects of print, multimedia and web-based publishing from concept through scheduling, writing, editing, review, production, printing and distribution, and/or web publishing; adhere to style guides and standards for communication products and serve as final quality check for all production assignments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In addition, at the .4 level
- Provide consultation and planning support to senior managers in the development of highly complex communication materials and presentations that recognize the viewpoint of stakeholders and ensure consistency with Laboratory goals and strategies. Act as a communication liaison in ensuring effective and timely communications with internal and external stakeholders.
- Work with senior management and subject matter experts to devise and lead strategic communication plans and projects, which may require working with individuals affiliated with other government, academic, or commercial entities.
- Serve as a resource to programmatic staff, subject matter experts, authors, and technical reviewers regarding technical communications techniques, processes, and cost-effective alternatives to producing a variety of products, including manuscripts, reports, presentations, social media, and web-based content.
- Use creative, independent thinking to solve complex problems. Serve as an expert-level communications resource and subject area expert. Work under consultative direction toward goals and objectives for projects, which frequently have significant impact, high visibility, and high consequence of error.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications or journalism or the equivalent combination of education and experience in an area of scientific or technical communication.
- Experience in executive communications, as well as in planning, developing, organizing, and writing technical content effectively across various types of communication platforms.
- Project management experience leading complex production and technical writing and editing assignments.
- Significant editing/writing experience in multiple scientific or technical areas using broad-based professional technical editing/writing skills including advanced knowledge of and experience using style conventions, professional principles, and technical communication practices and standards including having work edited and integrating editorial feedback.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills; experience collaborating and communicating with all levels of an organization, including senior managers, clients, team members, peers, and stakeholders to meet organizational/ programmatic objectives.
- Ability to handle classified, unclassified, sensitive and confidential issues with tact, diplomacy and discretion.
- Demonstrated self-starter, comfortable multitasking with ability to work to deadlines and respond to tight schedules in a rapidly changing environment and attend to intense details with high consequence of error.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work independently under minimal direction with significant latitude in determining and planning activities to reach objectives, and ability to work within a team environment.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), Adobe Creative Cloud software suite, and familiarity with website design, and content management systems.
In addition, at the .4 level
- Significant experience in executive communications. Experience developing and managing budgets.
- Significant experience identifying and implementing technology solutions to meet requirements.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience using style conventions, professional editing/writing skills in a wide variety of scientific areas and experience working with highly visible and sensitive technical content. Expertise in the theory and techniques of high-quality technical communication for print, multimedia and web-based publications.
Qualifications we desire
- Advanced degree in English, communications or journalism
- Advanced experience in scientific or technical communication and familiarity with UX principles, user research and user testing
- Understanding of LLNL’s mission of enabling U.S. security and global stability and resilience by empowering multidisciplinary teams to pursue bold and innovative science and technology.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.