Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 05/23/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
$123,960.00 - $190,932.00 Annually
$123,960.00 - $159,168.00 Annually for the SES.2 level
$148,650.00 - $190,932.00 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Computational Physicists aiming to improve national security through the development of simulation codes for world class supercomputing architectures. You will collaborate as part of an interdisciplinary team in advancing state-of-the-art physics simulation capabilities. Applications may include inertial confinement fusion, high-energy density physics, nuclear/conventional weapons, or nuclear counterterrorism. Our projects span the range from smaller, focused research codes/modules to multi-physics, multi-application production codes. This position is in the Design Physics Division within the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Build simulation tools using modern software practices as part of a team.
- Develop models and algorithms to support physics capabilities for a diverse application space.
- Support users of your simulation tools.
- Share results through conferences, reports/publications, and potential interactions with collaborators.
- Support plans to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion within the program.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
Additional responsibilities at the mid-career (SES. 3) level
- Develop and critically assess physics capabilities to support applications requiring advanced simulation tools to solve complex problems.
- Collaborate as a technical expert on multidisciplinary teams.
- Set specific technical strategies to achieve project goals.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD or equivalent level of proficiency in physics, mathematics, engineering, or related field.
- Proficiency in developing scientific applications in Python, C/C++, or FORTRAN.
- Proficiency in converting theory into computational models, implementing computational models, or evaluating computational algorithms and methods for their applicability.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and experience authoring high-quality reports/publications and delivering effective technical presentations.
- Demonstrated ability/commitment to valuing diversity, equity, and inclusion principles in the workplace.
Additional qualifications at the mid-career (SES.3) level
- Advanced knowledge of physics, mathematics, engineering, or a related field.
- Significant professional programming experience.
- Experience in leading, mentoring, and/or collaborating within teams.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills and a demonstrated record of delivering top-quality research in relevant areas of science and engineering.
Qualifications We Desire
- Expertise in one or more science disciplines, such as shock hydrodynamics, solid/fluid mechanics, materials science, particle transport, radiation transport, nuclear physics, plasma physics, or physical chemistry.
- Proficiency in developing and supporting multi-dimensional numerical simulation.
- Proficiency in developing scientific simulations for high-performance and/or heterogeneous computing systems (e.g., use of MPI, OpenMP, Cuda/HIP, or other HPC technologies).
- Proficiency in developing advanced technical solutions (e.g., numerical algorithms).
- Proficiency in working in a multidisciplinary team-research environment, demonstrating creativity and initiative in addressing challenging problems.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now