Power Grid Engineer - Automation and Controls Lead
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/23/2023
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$148,650.00 - $229,116.00 Annually
$148,650.00 - $190,932.00 Annually for the SES.3 level
$178,410.00 - $229,116.00 Annually for the SES.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for an experienced Power Engineer. You will lead system research on electrical power grid infrastructure analysis with a focus on grid resilience and participate in business development for the Cyber and Infrastructure Resilience (CIR) program in the Global Security (GS) Principal Associate Directorate. You will participate in collaborations with and travel to DOE headquarters and institutions such as national labs, utilities, and vendors in support of CIR’s growing research portfolio in electric grid infrastructure for the Department of Energy (DOE)’s Grid Modernization Initiative and Department of Defense (DoD). This position is in the Computational Engineering Division (CED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Lead and support complex research projects with competing priorities and implement advanced research concepts in a multidisciplinary team environment where dedication and deadlines are important to project success.
- Partner with other LLNL scientists and engineers to bring research results to practical use in LLNL Global Security programs.
- Work closely with other CIR program area leads in developing the CIR program research roadmap.
- Develop internal and external collaborations and provide input for securing funding sources to meet program goals and objectives.
- Co-author refereed scientific papers and reports and deliver presentations for audiences internal and external to LLNL.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Balance multiple projects/tasks and priorities of customers and partners to ensure deadlines are met.
- Lead various highly complex projects, effectively leveraging the skills of team members. Serve as a mentor for other staff and assist in recruiting efforts.
- Serve as a primary technical point of contact with sponsors and partners and participate in development of new program business.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Master’s degree in engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience beyond graduate school in electric power industry or utility.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: power grid transmission/distribution systems planning and operation, control, modeling and simulation; distribution automation, grid optimization, microgrid design and operation, networked microgrids.
- Advanced record of technical achievements.
- Ability to use standard programming languages to support modeling, analysis and visualization, of power grids and its components and control systems.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills needed to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, document work, prepare and present successful proposals and high-quality research papers, and provide advice to management.
- Ability to travel off-site, including potentially internationally, for sponsor and customer interaction.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Highly advanced experience leading the application and development in one or more of the following areas: distribution automation, control theory and operations, grid optimization planning, modeling and simulation, microgrid design and operation.
- Subject matter expert knowledge and significant experience as a project manager or principal investigator of projects with differing priorities, loosely defined deliverables, and high visibility.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Significant experience working at national laboratories.
- Experience working with Department of Energy (DOE), Department of Defense (DoD) and other relevant state government agencies.
- More than 15 years of experience in electric power industry.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.