Learning Experience Design Specialist
Human Resources | livermore, CA | 05/18/2023
Job Code: H04.3 Training Specialist 3
Organization: Human Resource Management
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE L clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$ 104,370 - $129,588 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We’re looking for two Learning Experience Design (LXD) Specialists to provide a full range of services including planning, designing, developing, and coordinating new and existing professional development, onboarding and compliance training programs for the Laboratory.
You will use a systematic approach to training, development, analysis, and instructional design for adult learners, leveraging human-centered design, the latest learning systems, web-development apps, and graphic art tools to build advanced training programs. These positions are in the Human Resources (HR) Directorate and report to the Learning and Development (L&D) Group Leader in the Workforce Development (WD) Division.
Telecommuting options are available for this position. Part time options will be considered.
- Leverage ADDIE methodology to analyze complex content, target audiences, job tasks and learner environments to identify appropriate instructional strategies, define learning objectives, monitor changes in procedures and policies, discover lessons learned, audit findings for impact, and revise training materials.
- Design course goals, objectives, and content, including text, scripts, graphics, video, audio, test questions, instructor guides, participant materials and supporting web pages to engage employees in the learning process, encourage course participation and meet the needs of the adult learner.
- Write, narrate, and synchronize course scripts, audio files, video clips, scenarios, and simulations required for instructor-led and web-based course content using a professional systematic approach to learning development for in-person and virtual trainings.
- Develop and design complex courses using interdisciplinary elements (e.g., interaction design, user experience design, graphic design, cognitive psychology, neuroscience, instructional design), innovative technology, multimedia and learning software in the instructional design process to produce web-based courses, ensure courses are accessible, current, consistent across the Lab, and delivered on schedule.
- Leverage existing content where practical for course development initiatives, stay current and expand knowledge of instructional design, e-learning industry trends, learning systems and related technology such as web-based design methodologies and adult education.
- Effectively engage with all levels of management and employees to establish appropriate training program objectives to include: conducting interviews and collaborate with subject matter experts (SMEs) and team members to quickly assess, design, develop and deploy instructor-led, web-based, and on-the-job training materials that are based on analysis and needs assessment.
- Monitor, interpret and implement instructional design changes in policies and procedures, orders, and other relevant regulatory standards to maintain LLNL HR accountability and influence others.
- Use sharable content object reference models (SCORM) and xAPI (Experience API) to create, share, and reuse online training materials across different systems and contexts.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE L-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Instructional Design, Education Technology, or related field; or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience implementing instructional technology models and designs, applying adult learning theory, web-based training interface design, simulations, interactivity, hypermedia, SCORM, xAPI, and tutorials in training applications.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience managing instructional design and learning development projects from inception to delivery that focus on the integration of adult learning principles and models (e.g., ADDIE, SAM, and Kirkpatrick’s Levels of Evaluation), applying a variety of web-based training interface designs.
- Experience with Web-Based Training (WBT) and Web Publishing Tool software applications, such as Adobe Acrobat Pro, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Articulate Storyline, Quizmaker, Snagit, Video Encoder, Adobe Captivate, and Camtasia.
- Advanced verbal and written communication, interpersonal facilitation and collaboration skills necessary to assess, write, edit, present, explain, advise, influence, and communicate course content and complex information to all levels of personnel.
- Advanced analytical, decision-making, critical-thinking and project management skills in instructional design as it relates to performing Structured Job Task Analyses (SJTA), scope identification, design specifications and writing performance-based objectives in curriculum development.
- Effective organization, project-management, and self-management skills with detail orientation necessary to manage multiple complex tasks in a demanding environment with conflicting priorities, tight and changing deadlines, and frequent interruptions while providing high-level customer service and follow-through.
- Experience influencing and working effectively independently and in a team environment/matrixed organization with broad cross section of people and organizations, and the ability to manage complex projects/tight deadlines.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.