Project Controls Schedule/Cost Analyst
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 05/18/2023
Job Code: Q01.3 Project Controls Analyst 3 / Q01.4 Project Controls Analyst 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$104,370 - $129,588 Annually for the Q01.3 level
$125,160 - $155,400 Annually for the Q01.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Project Controls Analysts to support the Nuclear Weapon Life Extension Programs (LEPs). You will utilize Project Management and Earned Value Management methodologies, and be responsible for the in-depth review, analysis, and reporting of project schedule or cost throughout the project lifecycle. These positions are in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED), within the Engineering Directorate. NSED provides support to the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team.
- Coordinate with project team to define activities and associated scope, activity durations, logic, and interface between activities and resource loading activities.
- Implement advanced earned value management systems (EVMS) by independently reviewing and analyzing project schedules for proper sequence, logical relationships, critical path analysis, cost estimates and budgets, and establish credible schedule baselines.
- Perform trend analysis and actively evaluate project performance providing clear results of cost and schedule variances and root cause analysis, including preparation of recovery or corrective action plans, identify potential risk areas, and validate forecasts.
- Prepare complex monthly project performance analysis, schedule status reports, and any additional project documentation (e.g., cost) as required through all phases of project lifecycle.
- Implement change management practices and appropriately capture associated schedule activities and prepare required supporting documentation.
- Interface with designated management and client counterparts for specific planning and schedule tasks/earned value presentations including participating in project meetings, collecting progress data, coordinating the development of monthly forecast budgets, and revising project plans.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the Q01.4 level
- Integrate project activities across program milestones to maintain project critical path.
- Generate and provide training for project control processes that meet both program and EVMS requirements.
- Ensure quality and integrity of project controls data and compliance with processes and requirements.
- Implement a standardized suite of Earned Value reports that enable program management to make data driven decisions.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Information Systems discipline or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant earned value management knowledge and experience in interpretation, execution, and application of project management theories, principles, and techniques for schedule systems.
- Advanced knowledge and experience using project controls software systems; such as Primavera P6, Deltek Cobra, Encore Analytics Empower.
- Considerable knowledge of Microsoft Office with extensive experience in advanced Excel functions.
- Self-motivated problem solver with excellent analytical skills to be able to clarify issues, analyze complex problems, and resolve challenges with sound decision making.
- Ability to maintain professionalism and accuracy while supporting interruptions in a dynamic working environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills necessary to communicate with multidisciplinary team members, using negotiation skills to influence.
Additional qualifications at the Q01.4 level
- Experience directing and training project controls functions, including schedule development/analysis or cost estimation/analysis.
- Expert knowledge and significant experience in using project controls software.
- Expert level understanding of project controls technical skills and the integration of all the components of an Earned Value Management System.
- Experience performing statistical analysis, schedule monitoring and data architecture, and operations to disseminate, create, and present highly detailed and complex financial information to diverse audiences.
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiar with Department of Defense (DoD) 5000 and NNSA 6.x acquisition processes.
- Program Management Professional certification/license.
- Familiarity with technical processes, engineering drawings, quantity determinations, and mathematical and financial reports.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.