Mechanical Designer, NIF&PS
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/18/2023
Job Code: 534.3 Designer
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$43.78-54.35 hourly for the 534.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for creative individuals with mechanical engineering design experience to work independently, collaborating with scientists, engineers, and other technical personnel to provide mechanical engineering design support to the National Ignition Facility. Successful candidates will develop and analyze designs of complex mechanical systems, conducting research when needed to find solutions to challenging engineering problems. Depending on a candidate’s experience and qualifications, the successful candidates will also provide design leadership and management, planning and leading multiple complex projects. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced Computer Aided Design (CAD) support to engineering, scientific and technical staff.
- Capture design solutions using Creo Parametric through updated model-based definition solutions.
- Maintain documentation in the Windchill/ELM (Enterprise Lifecycle Management) Configuration Management (CM) system.
- Apply appropriate standards to develop designs and create CAD objects, independently, under minimal supervision.
- Contribute to preliminary design concepts for hardware, componentry and systems including making independent judgment and decisions.
- Estimate scheduling and costs to determine effective methods in design, materials, and time to meet project deliverables and prepare and present technical material for design reviews, procedures, and other related documentation.
- Review completed drawings and other documentation for adherence to LLNL drafting standards and specifications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in Mechanical Drafting or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge in Computer Aided Design/Product Lifecyle Management (CAD/PLM) or equivalent CM system.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of the standards, procedures, and techniques related to drafting, including knowledge of the ASME Y14.5M Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Standard.
- Significant understanding of mechanical design principles and ability to solve complex technical problems.
- Significant knowledge of hardware design, facility utilities, project walk down, fabrication, assembly techniques, selecting materials, testing processes and manufacturing methods.
- Ability to read and follow complex engineering notes, sketches, drawings specifications and procedures.
- Effective written and verbal communication and feedback skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- Extensive experience with Creo Parametric and Windchill.
- Extensive experience using standards, procedures, and techniques related to drafting, including knowledge of the ASME Y14.5M Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Standard.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.