Learning Experience Design and Technologies Team Lead
Human Resources | livermore, CA | 05/18/2023
Job Code: H04.4 Training Specialist 4
Organization: Human Resource Management
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE L clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$125,160 - $155,400 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We’re looking for a Learning Experience Design (LXD) and Technologies Team Lead.
You will oversee the design of all institutional learning experiences and technologies, which includes a team of L&D/LXD Specialists. Under consultative direction, you will recommend appropriate technology and human-centered design for learning programs, platforms, and services that incorporates interdisciplinary elements (e.g., interaction design, user experience design, graphic design, cognitive psychology, neuroscience, and instructional design). You will also manage WD web-based resources, ensure HR compliance with all job-related training regulations affecting employees, and support other LLNL teaching organizations as appropriate. This position is in the Learning & Development (L&D) group of the Workforce Development (WD) Division in the HR Directorate.
We are looking for a service-focused and detail-oriented individual with a continuous improvement and growth mindset who can manage and design the entire learning process from identifying performance gaps to designing and evaluating programs for effective and sustainable learning.
Telecommuting options are available for this position.
In this role you will:
- Lead and develop WD learning experience, instructional design and strategies.
- Collaborate with matrixed learning management system and LXD internal and external partners to diagnose development needs and suggest appropriate solutions and approaches.
- Conduct needs analyses, identify new learning resources, evaluate content, and determine ongoing maintenance requirements for program sustainability (technical support and content).
- Manage the learning technologies roadmap and a broad array of institutional learning resources and technologies, including U-Learn, ServiceNow, Metrics That Matter (MTM), MeetingOne, Adobe Connect, Articulate 360, Storyline, Webex, TEAMS, LTRAIN, Compliance Training, SCORM, xAPI, LifeRay, WordPress, etc.
- Develop, procure and oversee required HR training compliance courses (e.g., Sexual Harassment Prevention) and ensure compliance with LLNL Computer Security Policies.
- Align learning programs with organizational strategies. Plan and manage complex, large-scale, multi-faceted projects, as well as day-to-day technical support, content evaluation and revision. Provide content customization and integration with other LLNL learning resources.
- Produce, manage, and train new virtual producers on technical production best practices. Share lessons learned with colleagues and Training Working Groups at both LLNL and the Department of Energy/EFCOG.
- Oversee and maintain internal L&D websites. Oversee and guide other WD website owners.
- Advise and inform management on learning technology trends, e-learning and benchmarks. Recommend budget scenarios and alternatives to management.
- Manage the WD Division metrics to tell our business story to key stakeholders.
- Provide technical expertise and mentorship to L&D/LXD Specialists.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE L-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Instructional Design, Training and Development, Organizational Development, Instructional Technology, Industrial Psychology, Adult Education, Leadership, Human Resources, or related field; or equivalent combination of education, knowledge, and related practical experience.
- Recognized as an expert within multiple areas of training and organizational development.
- Highly advanced customer service excellence and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively communicate influence, and collaborate with management, instructors, vendors, employees, and colleagues in a matrixed environment.
- Experience leading and developing a team and experience leading integrated projects and business activities.
- Advanced project management skills and experience managing multiple training initiatives simultaneously, working effectively in an environment with changing deadlines, instructions, priorities, and frequent interruptions.
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems, exercise independent judgment, make decisions, work independently, and determine and establish priorities.
- Extensive knowledge and significant experience of e-learning industry principles, standards, concepts, practices, and systems, knowledge of adult learning theory, scientific approach to training (SAT), instructional design principles (ADDIE, Kirkpatrick, SAM, Rapid Protoyping, Gradual Release Model), evaluation of training, and how to deploy them within LLNL’s unique cyber security environment.
- Significant experience in creating and deploying all aspects of an online learning environment, including assessment of infrastructure, products, and vendors, learning management systems, learning needs analysis, beta testing, usability studies, implementation plan, maintenance, evaluation, help desk, feedback, troubleshooting and updates.
- Significant experience integrating and customizing commercial products and technologies (e.g., graphic design, online administration, web server maintenance, etc.) including knowledge of web infrastructure, web policies and standards, and computer security practices
- Significant experience in designing, developing, and implementing instructor-led training courses and demonstrated ability to create basic websites, integrating graphics, adding pages, updating, and expanding as well as, troubleshooting and resolving system issues for both off-the-shelf products and in-house created products.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.