Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/15/2023
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$103,290 - $132,612 Annually for the SES.1 level
$123,960 - $159,168 Annually for the SES.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Precision Engineer to join our Precision Systems & Manufacturing Group. You will apply precision engineering and dimensional metrology principles to contribute to and/or lead projects ranging from novel research initiatives to supporting stockpile stewardship programs. These efforts will include the planning and execution of strategies for design, fabrication, and characterization of hardware, design and development of novel dimensional metrology tools and techniques, quantification of measurement uncertainty in new and existing measurement technologies, and beyond. You will become familiar with the ongoing priorities of the programs being supported to assist in developing proposals for future technology development that aids in the success of program objectives. Projects may involve requirements that are beyond commercially available capabilities and solutions may require modifications to commercial tools or development of advanced tools, sensors, and fabrication methods. When available technology is inadequate to meet current or future program needs, forward thinking will be essential for envisioning directions for technology development. This position is in the Material Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Provide engineering support during the design, development, implementation, and qualification of unique precision hardware, dimensional metrology, and instrumentation applications, including procedure development and uncertainty analysis.
- Perform characterization operations of limited complexity and interpret specifications and mechanical drawings.
- Perform engineering calculations to support design, fabrication, and/or dimensional metrology operations.
- Process, analyze, and interpret characterization data and the methods used to collect it.
- Work independently under general direction and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Present technical approaches, project plans, and documentation to peers and program managers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.2 Level
- Solve moderately complex to complex technical issues related to precision design, metrology and manufacturing operations.
- Utilize rigorous error budgets, kinematic (exact) constraint, and other precision engineering principles to qualify processes, provide quantified design enhancements as needed to meet capability requirements, and oversee the fabrication and implementation of these designs.
- Develop and present research and development proposals.
- Plan and execute strategies to quantify the performance of new and existing manufacturing and characterization/sensing technologies while working under limited direction.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Precision Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with research, design, analysis, prototyping, and fabrication/assembly/test of precision hardware.
- Fundamental knowledge of dimensional metrology principles and technologies, as well as their related application spaces.
- Working engineering knowledge associated with machining and inspection operations and experience interpreting specifications and technical drawings.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team with effective organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.2 Level
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Precision Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of dimensional metrology principles and sensing technologies, with demonstrated ability to apply these to both new and existing moderately complex processes/equipment.
- Experience in the application of uncertainty analysis and error budgeting, with the ability to apply these to both new and existing processes/equipment.
- Proficient communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise management and/or external sponsors.
- Experience leading or contributing to design reviews.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.