Business Analyst - Innovation and Partnerships Office
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 05/12/2023
Job Code: E01.3 Business Analyst 3 / E01.4 Business Analyst 4
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$104,370 - $129,588 Annually for the E01.3 level
$125,160 - $155,400 Annually for the E01.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We're looking for a Business Analyst for the Innovation and Partnerships Office (IPO). You will evaluate and implement the transition to a newly procured database system designed to streamline the process of capturing information on assets, inventions, and patents, and the management of contracts and agreements. You will assess and develop required training and be the point-of-contact for inquiries on its use by IPO and Laboratory personnel. You will develop strategies for measuring metrics and develop process enhancements. You will be responsible for managing the translation of IPO data from standard servers to a new IPO SharePoint site. You will be responsible for career development and supervision of staff. This position is in IPO within the Deputy Director’s Office, Science and Technology.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Analyze, evaluate and implement the transition to the Sophia software and develop processes and workflow and implement new and enhanced business solutions.
- Provide input to the development of new IPO practices and procedures relating to the integration of Sophia software internal to IPO as well as the broader Laboratory and external stakeholders.
- Oversee and assist with new task management and issues tracking systems, translate templates and processes for stakeholder engagement.
- Develop and implement strategies for addressing process gaps and serve as the liaison between customers, technical staff, IPO and the system vendor.
- Serve as the point of contact for managing and accessing system access as well as providing training.
- Partner with the vendor to review new system modules to evaluate need and implementation for IPO system.
- Provide in-depth consultation to identify and evaluate standards, processes and procedures to improve efficiencies. Evaluate, modify and create process and procedures.
- Implement and setup Microsoft Teams workflow and document archive features along with other electronic improvements.
- Coordinate and manage the evaluation of files on the IPO server, develop a strategy for file retention and, with input from IPO management and LivIT, oversee the movement of IPO files to a Sharepoint site.
- Coordinate, compile and validate data from multiple sources for a variety of internal reports for Laboratory management, and external reports for Battelle and the US DOE annual LLNL metrics report. Responsible for the annual data calls for DOE.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the E01.4 level
- Serve as an advisor, assess and ensure adherence to policies and procedures, and communicates vision effectively to senior unit/organizational management. Prepare and presents business process strategies and plans to all levels of management.
- Develop and deliver formal proposals for the implementation of operational changes to improve information and processing systems.
- Plan, conduct and direct the analysis and design of complex business/scientific processes for multiple change initiatives across organization. Establish measures for process alignment among organizational business units.
- Interpret client/customer needs, assess the full requirements, and identify solutions to non-standard and complex tasks/queries.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant functional discipline, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience analyzing processes and workflow and developing and implementing new or enhanced business solutions. Experience making recommendations and influencing processes.
- Experience developing business process documentation and training materials.
- Significant experience applying strong analytical and problem-solving skills to practical business outlooks such as forecasting, cost/benefit analysis, and trending.
- Significant experience coordinating and leading administrative projects; demonstrated analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills necessary to independently identify and recommend appropriate actions and solutions to complex administrative issues.
- Advanced organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple and complex tasks.
- Advanced communication skills to effectively interact and represent the IPO with all levels of management, both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Experience effectively working with sensitive issues and exercising judgment and discretion using political acumen.
- Demonstrated knowledge of appropriate handling of sensitive documents and protection; experience working effectively with sensitive issues and exercising judgment and discretion.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience with personal computers and associated software including Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Share Point. Advanced knowledge of collaborative software platforms used at LLNL e.g. MS Teams, OneDrive and SharePoint, with the ability to setup, manage and administer collaborative groups using such platforms.
Additional qualifications at the E01.4 level
- Recognized as an expert in planning, conducting and directing the analysis and design of complex business/scientific processes for multiple change initiatives across an organization. Broad and extensive specialized and operational knowledge and experience applying industry practices and standards.
- Experience anticipating needs, making recommendations, delegating effectively and working issues across all levels of an organization and management. Experience making decisions having organizational and institutional impact.
- Expert interpersonal and communication skills to prepare and deliver complex briefings and provide expert advice. Highly skilled in negotiating desirable outcomes.
- Experience supervising and directing staff on institutional and diverse projects and programs.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge and understanding of Laboratory cost accounting standards and practices.
- Knowledge of database management and process flow coordination.
- Experience of developing standard operating protocols for internal processes.
- Familiarity with Intellectual Property protection in a research institute.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.