Critical Infrastructure Cyber Security Engineer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 05/12/2023
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$148,650.00 - $190,932.00 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Critical Infrastructure Cyber Security Engineer with a background in cybersecurity and industrial control systems (ICS). You will collaborate with domestic and international partners on projects in support of DOE/NNSA’s Defense Nuclear Nonproliferation (DNN) Program in the protection, removal, and reduction of nuclear and radiological materials. Team members have expertise in networking, communications protocols, operating systems, system vulnerabilities, computer security, and related technologies. This position is in the Global Security Computing Applications Division (GS-CAD) within the Computing directorate, matrixed to LLNL’s Global Material Security (GMS) Program.
This position will be filled at either the SES.3 or SES.4 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide solutions requiring analysis and creative use of innovative methods to complex problems by collaborating with subject matter experts and program managers in one or more of the following areas: critical infrastructure and industrial control system cyber security, information security.
- Develop and give cybersecurity training to domestic and international partners.
- Provide cybersecurity expertise as part of multi-disciplinary and multi-lab teams providing assessments of facilities and consulting to DOE/NNSA’s DNN.
- Develop software and technological solutions in support of GMS missions.
- Engage other cybersecurity experts frequently to share relevant knowledge, opinions, and recommendations, working to fulfill deliverables as a team.
- Design technical solutions independently, participate as a member of a multidisciplinary team to analyze sponsor requirements and designs, and implement software and perform analyses to address these requirements.
- Manage multiple parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders to ensure deadlines are met.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Lead various complex tasks and projects.
- Solve abstract complex problems/ideas and convert them into useable solutions that require in-depth analysis of multiple factors and the creative use of established methods.
- Develop and drive adoption of new cybersecurity positions and approaches for DNN management.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of cyber security for critical infrastructure systems (SCADA, ICS, PLCs, etc.) in an enterprise environment. Advanced knowledge of the protection of nuclear and radiological materials.
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Advanced ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities, along with the demonstrated ability to approach difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity and to effectively change focus when necessary.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to interact with international partners, sponsors, customers, and multi-lab teams and ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Significant experience with training.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively, both domestic and international.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Highly advanced knowledge of cyber security for enterprise IT environments.
- Substantial experience in project management and/or DNN’s mission.
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to highly complex problems.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.