Project Risk Manager - Active Security Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/12/2023
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$136,500.00 - $175,272.00 Annually for the TSS.3 level
$163,740.00 - $210,288.00 Annually for the TSS.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Project Risk Manager within the Systems Engineering and Integration (SE&I) group. You will be responsible for providing risk management support for the W80-4 Life Extension Program (LEP). This will include interfacing directly with the project team to elicit potential risks and opportunities, track these risks/opportunities and report on status to management, facilitate risk review board meetings and follow-on actions, and coordinate with NNSA and other Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE) sites as needed. You will work with other risk managers and follow NNSA guidance regarding risk management. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), supporting the W80-4 LEP program.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Gather risk-related data in partnership with the technical leads and program management to perform the following: identify and document candidate risks and opportunities, communicate risks internally and externally, perform qualitative risk analysis, and lead the development of risk response strategies with the risk owners and applicable stakeholders.
- Actively manage risks and opportunities via regular interaction with risk owners and key stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain LLNL’s risk register within the Active Risk Manager (ARM) tool, including monitoring risks to ensure timely updates and execution of risk response strategies.
- Coordinate the integration of program risks and opportunities into the integrated site schedule.
- Lead the product realization and design teams in developing strategies for project risk mitigation, utilizing engineering and/or technical knowledge to inform those strategies.
- Facilitate and prepare documentation in support of risk review board meetings, including tracking and completion of follow-on actions as well as documentation of risk closures.
- Act as the LLNL point of contact for risk register and risk requests with NSE counterparts and NNSA Federal Program Office individuals.
- Support the development of the LLNL Risk Management Plan to implement the goals and objectives of the NNSA Risk and Opportunity Management Plan.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.4 level
- Lead the identification of risks and opportunities to reduce program risk exposure for cost, schedule, and performance impacts.
- Develop and present risk management training materials in support of the LLNL risk management execution plan.
- Manage the quantitative risk analysis and report on the quantified probability of meeting project objectives, initial contingency time and cost reserves needed, and assessment of overall project risk exposure.
- Generate recommended risk responses in partnership with program management, project controls staff, and technical leads based on the qualitative and/or quantitative risk analyses.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in science, technology, engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience with standard project management practices, such as project plan development and control, scope management, project scheduling, risk and opportunity management, cost estimation and management, quality assurance, and communications planning and management.
- Strong communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise partners at LLNL, NNSA, and other NSE sites.
- Advanced interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively and effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team environment and ability to coordinate work and goals on multiple simultaneous projects effectively.
- Ability to travel.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.4 level
- Expert knowledge and significant experience using qualitative and quantitative risk analysis techniques to determine ways to control or reduce risk.
- Advanced communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise senior management at LLNL, NNSA, and other NSE sites.
- Ability to make decisions requiring scientific or engineering stakeholder inputs across more than one field.
Qualifications We Desire
- Ability to devise systems and processes to monitor validity of risk modeling outputs.
- Experience working nuclear weapon programs/projects at the system and component levels.
- Experience in mechanical, electrical, or system engineering or related technical fields.
- Experience working with the Department of Energy, the National Nuclear Security Administration, or the Department of Defense.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification or equivalent.
- Familiarity with Project Management tools, including Deltek Acumen Risk; Active Risk Manager (ARM), and Primavera P6.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.