Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 05/12/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$123,960.00 - $159,168.00 Annually for the SES.2 level
$148,650.00 - $190,932.00 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
Do you loathe doing the same task over and over? Do you enjoy cybersecurity implementation in the latest tech?
We have an opening for an experienced Cybersecurity Software Engineer to work on projects that cover a range of systems, applications, technologies, and research in areas with critical national security interest. You will develop and integrate software, hardware, networks and data to address challenging research and development problems in cybersecurity. This position is within the Global Security Computing Applications Division (GS-CAD) of the Computing Directorate, matrixed to the Global Security Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Collaborate with scientists and researchers on moderately complex problems in cybersecurity to bring research results to practical use in our Global Security programs.
- Analyze cybersecurity requirements for new and existing projects
- Develop cybersecurity software solutions to address program and sponsor requirements.
- Provide input on cybersecurity technologies, applications, and/or threats for existing projects and sponsors.
- Recommend cybersecurity tools, methods, and technologies to implement solutions to benefit national security
- Design, implement, deploy, and maintain advanced cybersecurity technologies for critical infrastructure and other nationally-important systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Collaborate with developers and mid-level management, often representing the organization as the primary technical contact, sharing relevant knowledge, opinions, and recommendations to fulfill deliverables as a team.
- Solve abstract complex problems, creating complex and dynamic algorithms/software modules.
- Provide solutions that require in-depth analysis of multiple factors and the creative use of established and/or innovative methods.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of networking and network protocols, compilers, malware/software analysis, reverse engineering, virtualization, vulnerabilities, incident response, cryptography, red-teaming, and/or systems programming.
- Broad experience developing software applications in C++, C, or Python.
- Broad experience in software engineering practices and object-oriented programming concepts.
- Broad experience with UNIX/Linux.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with conflicting priorities, to approach difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity and to change focus when necessary, with experience working independently.
- Proficient verbal, written, and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a multi-disciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications, at the SES.3 level
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Significant experience in networking and network protocols, compilers, malware/software analysis, reverse engineering, virtualization, vulnerabilities, incident response, cryptography, red-teaming, and/or systems programming.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree or PhD in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field.
- Experience with cybersecurity tools, such as Wireshark, IDA Pro, WinDbg, Snort, or Nmap as well as experience in data science, critical infrastructure, assembly language programming, or with cybersecurity tools such as Bro, Metasploit, OllyDbg, or The Volatility Framework.
- Experience writing research proposals and securing sponsor funding.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.