Shot Director for Laser and Experimental Systems
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/12/2023
Job Code: TSL.3 Technical Services & Ops TSL 3 / TSL.4 Technical Services & Ops TSL 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$147,360.00 - $189,264.00 Annually for the TSL.3 level
$176,850.00 - $227,124.00 Annually for the TSL.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for National Ignition Facility (NIF) Shot Directors. You will join a team of Shot Directors who are responsible for directing and coordinating the 24/7 operations of the integrated laser and experimental systems of the National Ignition Facility. You will be responsible for the successful execution of complex target experiments in the NIF, as well as for ensuring that all activities conducted by Operations and experimental personnel, including operators, technicians, scientists, and engineers, are performed safely in accordance with NIF’s Integrated Safety program. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Provide advanced technical coordination, leadership, and supervision of the operations of large-scale, complex, integrated systems critical to the successful execution of scientific experiments on NIF.
- Provide technical mentorship, leadership, and supervision to the Lead Operator and Control Room personnel during operation of the laser and experimental systems.
- Collaborate with and provide technical leadership to a multi-disciplinary team of experimental support personnel including scientists, engineers, operators, and technicians.
- Contribute to experimental campaign planning and scheduling; communicate facility and experimental plans to the Control Room operators and staff.
- Contribute to leading computer controls design and production organization to continuously improve the control system software; this includes participation in design reviews and change review board activities for proposed additions or changes to facility hardware and software.
- Provide leadership that supports 24 hour per day, 7 day per week operations, working various shifts as required; perform responsibilities of the Facility Point of Contact and Emergency Manager during off shifts.
- Lead the coordination of resources for facility maintenance, installation, and construction activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSL.4 level
- Provide solutions to highly complex issues/problems where a high degree of ambiguity exists around techniques and approaches. Solutions require in-depth analysis of multiple tangible and intangible factors.
- Under consultative direction, evaluates Control Room performance with quantifiable metrics and proposes improvements to enhance efficiency and productivity. Provide expert level guidance to NIF operations.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Science or Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience and ability to lead independent work.
- Advanced knowledge in science or engineering as it relates to implementation of integrated, complex, and largescale systems.
- Significant experience in the management of operations for large and complex technical systems operated by multidisciplinary teams.
- Significant experience managing and executing an integrated safety management system.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to manage personnel conflicts and maintain high morale in a demanding and dynamic environment.
- Experience leading a team and/or group effectively in a fast-paced, high pressure, complex, multidisciplinary team environment, working across organizational boundaries.
- Leadership skills for leading and managing multidisciplinary teams of 10 or more employees.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate and lead in a team environment, present and explain technical information, and provide advice to management, personnel, and stakeholders.
Additional qualifications at the TSL.4 level
- Extensive experience and/or training leading the operation of a large complex scientific facility.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors and vendors.
- Highly advanced knowledge of laser physics, large laser systems, electro-optics, large optical systems, laser alignment and diagnostics.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Science, Engineering, Physics, or related field.
- In-depth knowledge of DOE, sponsors, Lab management and structures.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.