RF / Photonics Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/12/2023
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$103,290.00 - $132,612.00 Annually for the SES.1 level
$123,960.00 - $159,168.00 Annually for the SES.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Photonics Engineer to support various Research and Development projects within the Ultrafast Optical & Electronic Systems Group. The group consists of a diverse team with expertise in photonics, nonlinear and ultrafast optics, and high-speed RF electronics. You will work within a team of engineers, scientists, and technicians to develop photonic solutions for first of a kind systems. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED) within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Work as part of a larger team developing novel technologies in one or more of the following areas: photonics, nonlinear optics, ultrafast pulse shaping and diagnostics, high-speed / ultra-wideband RF electronics, photonic A/D and D/A conversion, photonic integrated circuits, and digital signal processing.
- Contribute to the design, construction, troubleshooting, and analysis of device and system performance in the above technology areas.
- Actively participate in the conception, coordination, and execution of projects to deliver systems that address defined goals.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment consisting of engineers, scientists, technicians, and project managers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Duties at the SES.2 Level
- Work independently to define and execute project tasks.
- Organize, analyze, and present data and status updates to the larger team.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Electrical/Electronics Engineering, Optical Engineering, Optics, Physics, or related field or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: photonics, nonlinear optics, ultrafast pulse shaping and diagnostics, high-speed / ultra-wideband RF electronics, photonic A/D and D/A conversion, integrated photonics, mixed signal circuits, wireless communications, radar, digital signal processing, and machine learning.
- Experience constructing and testing experimental optical and electronics systems incorporating fiber/integrated optics and high speed RF technologies.
- Strong interpersonal skills required to thrive in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Sufficient written and verbal communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills, and abilities working effectively with high level technical, engineering, and scientific staff.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.2 Level
- Strong initiative to work independently and efficiently and prioritize tasks to meet project milestones.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Significant experience constructing and testing experimental optical and electronics systems incorporating fiber/integrated optics and high speed RF technologies.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with ultrafast laser sources, diagnostics, high-speed RF instrumentation, fiber optic / photonic integrated circuit (PIC) devices and systems.
- Experience constructing and aligning laser/optical systems.
- Experience building hybrid optical and electronic systems.
- Experience with Matlab/Python software.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now