Nuclear Facility Project Structural Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/12/2023
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$136,500.00 - $175,272.00 Annually for the TSS.3 level
$163,740.00 - $210,288.00 Annually for the TSS.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Nuclear Facility Project Structural Engineer to provide engineering support ongoing operations and modifications in LLNL’s nuclear facilities. This work includes structural calculations, design review, and modifications to conventional office and laboratory facilities. You will apply advanced technical knowledge in Structural engineering to develop conceptual ideas into workable and cost-effective solutions that maintain facilities supporting research and investigations of nuclear materials. This position is in the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the TSS.3 or TSS.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Prepare and implement complex Structural designs utilizing design criteria, calculations, schematics, sketches, construction documents, procedures, and specifications.
- Utilize advanced technical engineering skills to develop detailed designs, drawings, calculations, bills of materials, presentations, and work planning documentation to support facility improvement projects including evaluating system capacities, planning sequencing of work, and ensuring constructability.
- Determine functional Structural requirements for new or modified specialized equipment and support systems and perform advanced Structural engineering calculations for ventilation, fire protection, cryogenic or gas systems, chillers, or boilers as needed.
- Provide engineering support during construction performed by outside contractors including reviewing submittals and shop drawings, responding to contractor questions, evaluating change order requests, or resolving field problems.
- Lead complex internal Structural system projects with responsibility for the development and compliance with technical criteria, schedules, and deliverables, and direct the work of Structural designers and drafters preparing drawings prepared in AutoCAD for projects.
- Provide technical input to others on complex design requirements and identify and evaluate potential system impacts for projects affecting facility systems while complying with LLNL procedures, work control system processes, and DOE requirements.
- Promote and support plans to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion within the program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.4 level
- Determine the operability and structural integrity of building safety structures, systems, and components (SSCs) using subject-matter expert level technical knowledge and recommend corrective action to facility management when required.
- Provide recommendations to WCI and facility management and senior LLNL and DOE managers on the potential impact of studies and evaluations, such as the PSHA, on building SSCs.
- Identify and provide recommendations for all necessary modifications to WCI and facility management regarding the facility and facility-supported SSCs and approve the resulting proposed physical modifications.
- Manage system modification/construction projects and configuration of building SSCs through drawings, procedures, and design documentation.
- As the subject-matter expert, provide technical expertise, support, and innovative solutions to highly complex issues related to the design and implementation of equipment replacement, repair, and structural modifications of the building safety SSCs.
- Provide day-to-day subject-matter expert level consultation and approval on technical matters related to structural engineering issues.
- Develop and implement structural calculations, design criteria, design drawings, sketches and specifications for facility structural modifications and upgrades.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil / Structural Engineering or equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Advanced knowledge in the design for facility-related Structural systems and components.
- Experience developing Structural, evaluating design options, determining design criteria, preparing design, reviewing design and construction specifications, calculations, and drawings that support efficient and successful job completion in industrial facility environments.
- Knowledge and use of applicable codes and industry standards – i.e., ASME, California Building Code, Uniform Building Code, ASHRAE.
- Experience generating correspondence, reports, calculations, and presentations using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other applicable software.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively interact and collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical or operational information and provide advice to management, reviewers, and stakeholders.
- Ability and flexibility to reprioritize and change programmatic direction depending on emergent requests.
- Demonstrated ability/commitment to valuing diversity, equity, and inclusion principles in the workplace.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.4 level
- Substantial experience and subject matter expertise in facility Structural engineering and industry code compliance.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise senior management, reviewers, and stakeholders.
- Experience in mentoring peers in area of expertise.
- Experience in directing activities or have lead responsibilities related to engineering activities.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s Degree or professional California registration in or structural engineering. Professional Engineering Registration in civil or Structural Engineering in California or reciprocity from another state within twelve months.
- Significant experience performing design work for Structural systems in an architectural engineering (AE) consulting environment.
- Knowledge of the LLNL nuclear facilities safety basis and authorization basis documentation.
- Knowledge of DOE and LLNL structural engineering design standards, policies, and practices.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.