Network Engineer - HPC
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 05/12/2023
Job Code: 393.1 Systems & Network Associate / 393.2 Systems & Network Sr Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$104,220.00 - $129,384.00 Annually for the 393.1 level
$126,120.00 - $156,576.00 Annually for the 393.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Network Engineer with expertise in network equipment deployment, monitoring, and day-to-day operations. You will be responsible for the installation, configuration, and maintenance of network hardware and software, and the troubleshooting of complex network infrastructures, with emphasis on data center operations. This position is in the Livermore Computing (LC) Division’s Network and Security Operations Group within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Apply networking knowledge and experience to provide troubleshooting and operational support for data center, campus, LAN and WAN networks.
- Perform complex network administration to configure, operate, and maintain switches, routers, firewalls, load balancers, and other commodity network equipment.
- Configure and effectively utilize network management and monitoring tools.
- Support COMSEC and data encryption using 3rd party appliances or IPSEC tunneling.
- Implement comprehensive network security policies and monitoring, in collaboration with cyber security teams and other National Laboratories.
- Participate in an on-call rotation and perform occasional work outside normal business hours to provide support for network operations and maintenance.
- Evaluate network products and services. Interact with vendors.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the 393.2 Level
- Design and deliver advanced, customized networks, in alignment with customer requirements and enterprise network strategies.
- Diagnose, resolve, and document highly complex network problems.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer or engineering field, or equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Experience in network system troubleshooting, configuration, implementation, documentation, and/or operations.
- Knowledge of and experience with network L2/L3 and/or firewall configuration and maintenance.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Linux/Unix operating systems or TCP/IP.
- Experience supporting secure and highly reliable enterprise networks.
- Proficient interpersonal and verbal and written communications skills, with the ability to work independently and interact with customers and team members.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced and challenging environment, with multiple and competing priorities, while managing to maintain sound judgement and excellent customer service.
Additional qualifications at the 393.2 level
- Significant experience developing advanced networking solutions, including advanced knowledge of automation tools, such as shell scripting or configuration management systems.
- Significant experience providing direction on the design, evaluation, recommendation, and implementation of systems, services, or processes.
- Experience training and mentoring team members in network engineering and architecture.
Qualifications We Desire
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of common network DevOps technologies and frameworks (Ansible/Python/CICD, etc.) used for network scripting and automation.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) and/or Cisco Certified Network Professional Certifications (CCNP).
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.