Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/12/2023
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$103,290.00 - $132,612.00 Annually for the SES.1 level
$123,960.00 - $159,168.00 Annually for the SES.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Welding Engineer or Welding Metallurgist in the Materials and Non-Destructive Evaluation Section. You will work in a team environment on activities in the areas of welding, and other joining methods, with an emphasis on electron-beam and laser welding, for actinide metals and other metals and alloys. You will be involved with developing weld parameters and characterizing welds and weld joints. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED) within the Engineering directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide welding support for the welding of metal alloys using electron-beam and laser welding.
- Characterize weld and weld joints and the associated processes via optical microscopy and micro-hardness testing.
- Observe and collaborate on welding operations at production facilities at Y-12 in Oak Ridge TN, Los Alamos, NM and the National Security Complex in Kansas City, MO.
- Review procedures and techniques at production facilities, report findings and observations to LLNL program management.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from experiments and development activities on welding and other joining tasks.
- Provide creative solutions to technical problems of limited complexity involving the welding and joining of alloys by reviewing scientific and technical literature and experimental techniques.
- Interpret and write weld critical material specification documents.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Provide technical guidance to optimize weld parameters and evaluate properties of welds and brazes for actinide metals and alloys.
- Design and develop weld fixtures for high-precision welding on parts with non-standard geometries.
- Perform engineering calculations to provide moderately complex to complex welding engineering solutions for material selection weldability, welding process selection, and understanding the metallurgy of selected welding processes.
- Propose new concepts and improve understanding of these materials.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Welding Engineering, Welding Metallurgy or related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Fundamental knowledge of electron-beam, laser and similar plasma-based welding technologies.
- Experience with metallographic characterization techniques, and methods to evaluate welds, including but not limited to optical microscopy and scanning electron microscopy.
- Experience with evaluating structure-property-process relationships of metal alloys or ceramics.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, document analyses and prepare, present and explain technical information and publications.
- Ability to anticipate and accommodate evolving programmatic direction and priorities as a team player.
- Ability to travel up to 30%.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Comprehensive knowledge of welding joining experience in R&D environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in reviewing procedures and techniques at production facilities, reporting findings and observations to LLNL program management.
- Experience with the design, fabrication, inspection and test of moderately complex welded structures and pressure vessels.
- Master’s degree in Welding Engineering, Welding Metallurgy or Materials Science and Engineering.
- Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) certification.
- Prior experience working in a DOE production facility setting.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.