Computer Support Technician
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 05/12/2023
Job Code: 593.2 Systems & Network Technologist / 593.3 Systems & Network Sr. Technl
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory's mission.
$36.50 - $45.32 Hourly for the 593.2 level
$43.78 - $54.35 Hourly for the 593.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We're looking for a Computer Support Technician to provide computer support for unclassified and/or classified systems in a heterogeneous environment to solve a variety of complex technical problems promptly. You will be responsible for installing, configuring, securing and maintaining systems, as well as loading layered products and troubleshooting system problems. You will report to the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division in the Computing Directorate.
You will be hired at either the 593.2 or 593.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Install new computer system hardware and upgrades.
- Install and configure printers and other peripherals.
- Install and configure operating systems, computer security and applications software.
- Secure computer systems and monitor to ensure that they comply with Department of Energy (DOE) – mandated orders.
- Diagnose and resolve moderately complex system, printer, and network problems.
- Provide technical assistance to the user community.
- Maintain appropriate technology, computer security, and safety training.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the 593.3 level
- Perform complex installations and configurations.
- Diagnose and resolve complex system and network-related problems.
- Provide advanced technical assistance to the user community.
- Secure and maintain a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Q level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate's Degree in a computer-related field or equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- General working knowledge of desktop and/or server computer hardware and operating systems (viz., Mac OS and/or Windows OS).
- Experience of administering, troubleshooting, maintaining, and repairing Apple and/or Windows computer systems.
- Experience with and knowledge of the skills needed for a customer support role to include a focus on listening, rapport-building, good communication skills, friendly and approachable nature, and courtesy and patience.
- Effective interpersonal and verbal and written communications skills, with the ability to work with customers and team members.
- Experience with and knowledge of Mac and/or Windows computer security protocols to manage user accounts, and control and monitor access.
Additional qualifications at the 593.3 level
- Advanced knowledge of Mac and/or Windows operating systems and associated computer hardware.
- Significant experience utilizing tools and utilities.
- Significant experience resolving complex system and network-related problems.
Qualifications We Desire
- Professional computer certification (e.g., MCSA, MCSE, CompTIA A+, ACSP).
- Experience securing computer systems, writing security plans, and monitoring activity to ensure compliance with Department of Energy (DOE) mandated orders.
- General working knowledge of network hardware, software, protocols, and principles.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now