Experienced Nonlinear Analysis Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/12/2023
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$148,650.00 - $190,932.00 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for experienced Engineers with a strong background in computational mechanics, material failure, high-rate dynamics, and multi-physics analysis. You will support design and assessment efforts for complex mechanical systems and structures using massively parallel, high-performance, nonlinear, hydrostructural analysis codes developed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL). Your efforts will support a variety of projects aligned with the broader mission of LLNL, including high-priority national security efforts in missile defense, space science and security, and laser applications. These positions are in the Computational Engineering Division (CED).
In this role you will
- Perform analysis of complex mechanical systems subject to nonlinear, high-rate loading, including blast and hypervelocity impact problems, with emphasis on state-of-the art computational techniques and constitutive behavior including the post-failure response of materials and structures.
- Work independently to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities in a multi-disciplinary team environment, where commitments and deadlines are important to project success.
- Resolve technical objectives and criteria to satisfy project objectives and execute the appropriate technical approaches with minimal direction.
- Apply advanced technical knowledge and methodologies to guide the successful completion of project and organizational goals and serve as the primary technical contact on tasks and projects.
- Participate and collaborate in training, briefings, or other program-related events, including contributing to meetings with sponsors, other DOE Laboratories, and U.S. government agencies, which will require occasional travel.
- Collaborate with technical area leaders, project leaders, and program management to represent technical capabilities and project results to internal management and external sponsors.
- Document methods and implementation in informal and formal reports and presentations.
- Perform verification analyses to check computational methods against analytical solutions and verify that methods converge.
- Ensure appropriate security requirements are met for all levels of classified/unclassified information under your direct control.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Master’s degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, structural engineering, structural/applied mechanics or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of state-of-the-art modeling and simulation capabilities, with depth in one or more of the following areas: material damage and failure mechanisms, high-rate system dynamics (e.g., penetration mechanics, hydrodynamics, or shock physics), hypervelocity impact, explosive modeling, or laser-matter interaction.
- Significant work experience using finite element modeling and simulation tools and analytical models for problem solving, with an emphasis on nonlinear mechanics, high-strain rate dynamic analysis, and building large geometrically complex models.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills needed to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, document work, prepare and present successful proposals and high-quality research papers, and provide advice to management and sponsors.
- Significant experience using programming or scripting languages such as Python to facilitate technical analysis.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, structural engineering, structural/applied mechanics or a related field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of advanced constitutive models for metals, composites, ceramics, foams, geologic materials, or polymers.
- Experience conducting computational analysis in a multi-physics context on massively parallel computer systems.
- Ability to secure and maintain access to Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI).
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.