Senior 3D Generalist Animator/Unity Developer
Public Affairs/Communications | livermore, CA | 05/11/2023
Job Code: G07.3 Animation Specialist 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$104,370 - $129,588 Annual (G07.3)
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Senior 3D Generalist Animator/Unity Developer to create dynamic visualizations for the Laboratory’s scientists, engineers, and technical experts. You will generate a broad range of visual products (including advanced 3D illustrations, animations and interactive applications and simulations), collaborate with researchers in multiple scientific areas such as biology, physics, chemistry, advanced manufacturing, and high-performance computing, for a wide variety of audiences (ranging from senior scientists to government officials to the general public). This position is in the Technical Information Department in the Business Directorate.
In this role you will...
- Program and design unique applications, games, virtual tours and scientific tools in Unity 3D.
- Conceptualize and effectively design, plan, and produce complex 3D illustrations/animations, and interactive applications/simulations.
- Set and uphold superior standards of quality and production across all projects including maintaining consistency of design style through all phases and facets of each project.
- Develop previsualizations (storyboards, animatics, 3D mockups) for complex animations and multimedia projects.
- Serve as a point of contact and consult with clients, delivering quality customer service. Meet with customers to understand project requirements and schedules, including establishing time and cost estimates for scope of work.
- Manage project production from start to finish including coordinating work with other team members to maintain established time and budget commitments and adhere to set production schedules.
- Provide solutions to problems of moderate complexity and makes decisions using independent discretion and judgment.
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams (edit, design, web) on special projects calling for visual content creation.
- Research new technologies and present on new topics as they apply to animation practices; make hardware and software purchase recommendations.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in multimedia, animation, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of Unity Game Engine and Unreal Engine. Experience with Unity development pipeline, including programming, animations, animation state machine, UI, audio and/or video.
- Experience in conceptualizing and effectively designing, planning, directing, and coordinating production of multiple and complex 3D illustrations, animations and interactive apps including working across the 3D production pipeline: modeling, rigging, textures/materials, animation, lighting/rendering, and programming.
- Advanced knowledge of and understanding of 3D animation development and emerging technologies in 3D visualization.
- Proficient knowledge of and significant experience with Autodesk Maya and with compositing of images and video using Adobe Photoshop and AfterEffects or comparable software.
- Experience leading production of multimedia projects and establishing commitments of cost, schedule, and quality standards.
- Experience identifying and solving problems of moderate scope and complexity to meet specifications for graphics, animation, and multimedia projects, maintaining design integrity throughout all media.
- Experience balancing creative expertise within a team whilst providing quality visual products, enhancing customer experiences, and meeting customer objectives.
Qualifications we desire
- Experience with source code control systems such as Git.
- Industry experience in animation or multimedia development, especially of a scientific nature.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.