High Performance Computing (HPC) DevOps Storage Engineer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 05/11/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$123,960.00 - $159,168.00 Annually for the SES.2 level
$148,650.00 - $190,932.00 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We're looking for a High Performance Computing (HPC) Development Operations (DevOps) Storage Engineer. You will combine software development and systems engineering with a focus on extreme scale high performance storage that provides systems capable of storing billions of files and hundreds of petabytes. You will work with a small team of DevOps engineers and developers to help architect, deploy, and manage the High Performance Storage Systems (HPSS) that provide reliable, massively-distributed, long-term archival systems for storing our irreplaceable data. This position is in the Livermore Computing (LC) Division within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level SES.2 or SES.3 based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Perform hardware/software deployments, upgrades, configuration, monitoring, management, performance tuning, and ongoing support of HPSS in LC production archives in Linux-based HPC cluster environment.
- Perform software design, development, testing, and deployment of HPSS client interfaces.
- Troubleshoot, determine root cause, and fix complex storage system issues in a team of technical staff having different levels and areas of expertise.
- Apply site reliability engineering/systems engineering practices to manage and improve one or more production aspects of HPSS, underlying storage architecture (e.g., ZFS), and large-scale disk and tape hardware.
- Develop and maintain tools and utilities that aid in the operation, automation, and reliability of software-based administrative tasks associated with LC production archives.
- Monitor and manage general system health, security incidents, and other archive events.
- Participate in installation of software releases, patching of the various subsystems, and third-party utilities with emphasis on overall system reliability, availability and serviceability.
- Provide 24/7 customer support as a member of a rotating call list in a fast-paced and mission-critical environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Independently troubleshoot, determine root cause, and fix highly complex storage system issues that may involve interfacing with various technical staff across multiple organizations with differing levels of knowledge and expertise.
- Analyze and tune multiple aspects of archive service (e.g., database design, networks, large-scale disk and/or tape subsystems performance).
- Investigate, evaluate, test, and recommend technical solutions for future systems.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Demonstrated skills performing Linux/UNIX or storage system administration: software installations, updates and patching, configuration management, system security, networking, storage allocation.
- Broad experience with software development using high-level programming language (e.g., C/C++, Java, Python), and/or broad experience with system administration using shell scripting languages (e.g., Bash, Perl).
- Ability to engage with technical staff and end-users, requiring deep technical knowledge and critical thinking necessary to effectively work with members of the Scalable Storage Group, HPSS development community, other LC staff, LC end-users, and to represent the Laboratory publicly (e.g., user groups and technical conferences).
- Experience setting priorities and solving complex problems in a fast-paced, rapidly changing, customer-focused team environment with multiple competing priorities.
- Experience with software version control and configuration management systems, such as, Git, Subversion, Ansible, Puppet, etc.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability to work off-hours and on-call (intermittently either as needed or as part of a rotation).
Additional qualifications at the SES.3
- Significant experience with Linux/UNIX systems programming, large scale application debugging/testing techniques, and/or system administration in support of several independent but inter-related systems and software packages.
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience providing innovative solutions to broadly defined tasks and problems.
- Advanced communication, interpersonal skills, and the ability to effectively interact with system developers and vendors with minimal direction.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Experience with high performance computing, large scale data centers, HPSS and/or other mass storage systems.
- Knowledge of one or more storage system components (e.g., Spectra Logic or Oracle robotics, Oracle/IBM tape drives, ZFS, Qlogic HBAs, direct-attach fiber).
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.