Regulatory Compliance Assurance Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/11/2023
Job Code: TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$163,740.00 - $210,288.00 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We are looking for a Regulatory Compliance Assurance (RCA) Engineer in the Nuclear Safety and Worker Safety & Health areas. You will be an institutional point of contact and subject matter expert for matters related to self-regulation of the Department of Energy (DOE)-issued nuclear safety and worker safety & health requirements of the Code of Federal Regulations Title 10 Part 820, 10 Part 830, 10 Part 835, and 10 Part 851. This position is in Mission Assurance within the Office of Laboratory Oversight.
- Champion the Laboratory’s participation with Nuclear Safety and Worker Safety & Health requirements to ensure continuous improvement; communicate LLNL’s compliance assurance status and coordinate enforcement investigations.
- Manage corrective actions in ITS and verify for completeness and analyze incidents and issues and present results for senior management action; frequently mentor directorate managers on analyzing for causes; design and direct others in the use of the tools; and identify opportunities for improving processes, characterizing and measuring data, and delivering technical interpretation of the results.
- Be responsible for institutional-level assurance processes that are responsive to DOE safety and security regulatory guides, orders and standards and to internal and external stakeholders.
- Deliver interpretations of the Laboratory’s obligations regarding compliance and performance issues with DOE Nuclear Safety and Worker Safety & Health requirements, particularly requirements promulgated in 10 Part 820, 10 Part 824 10 Part 830, 10 Part 835, and 10 Part 851.
- Design institutional-level assurance processes that are responsive to DOE safety and security regulatory guides, orders and standards and to internal and external stakeholders.
- Conduct innovative studies through the application of advanced analysis methods to characterize highly complex issues with limited or incomplete information; conduct in-depth causal analysis of conditions and events; evaluate compliance with regulatory requirements; analyze LLNL’s performance for programmatic, significant or repetitive noncompliance and develop new approaches for resolution; and monitor and verify completion of commitments to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Enforcement.
- Exercise independent judgment and initiative in determining methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria in support of nuclear safety and worker safety & health and determine and pursue courses of action essential for obtaining desired outcomes.
- Integrate program goals with technical requirements, costs, and policy considerations.
- Serve as the institutional subject matter expert and partner with the programs to identify new ideas, modify approaches, establish LLNL procedures, develop training material and deliver training where appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, scientific discipline or technical area or equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Experience performing data analysis and using trending techniques such as control charts and statistical analysis.
- Subject matter expert level knowledge of assurance principles and their application to safety, security, health, emergency management and nuclear safety.
- subject matter expert knowledge of regulatory guidelines, orders and standards associated with the industry and an understanding of their potential impact when applied to the Laboratory.
- Highly advanced technical and organizational problem-solving and decision-making techniques, with analytical skills necessary to independently interpret, advise, effect change and implement solutions to highly complex and ambiguous problems with broad implications.
- Expert communication, facilitation and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present and explain technical information and provide advice to senior management and DOE.
- Demonstrated effective technical, organizational and leadership skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working in regulatory environments, such as with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission or with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
- Knowledge of Nuclear Safety and Worker Safety & Health policies and procedures and understanding of the DOE contractual relationship.
- Knowledge of DOE performance assurance standards.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.