Genomics/Microbiome Biologist - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 05/11/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None/Position does not require US citizenship (assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We are seeking a dedicated and hardworking Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in the area of metagenomics and functional genomics. You will explore opportunities to further scientific capabilities in detection and surveillance of novel and low abundant pathogens. You will develop new methods, tools, and workflows for metagenomic sequence data generation and analysis in the context of improving genomic resolution and determining functional impact of metagenomic datasets. You will work with multiomic datasets for integrated data analysis and prediction of results. This position is in the Genomics group in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
- Contribute to the generation of novel metagenomic datasets from environmental and clinical samples
- Develop and apply laboratory methods for improving genomic resolution of metagenomic datasetsResearch, design, and implement experimental and computational techniques for analyzing novel and unknown sequences
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research at seminars, technical meetings, and conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, or a related field.
- Experience in nucleic acid or protein-based biodetection technologies and bioinformatics
- Ability to develop and apply novel analytical techniques for multiomic data integration
- Experience with statistical analyses and data visualization.
- Ability to complete independent research projects, as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to present technical information and effectively collaborate in a multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications we desire:
- Experience in sample preparation techniques from complex clinical and environmental samples
- Experience in the application of next-generation sequencing and sequence library preparation.
- Experience in metagenomic data analysis and microbiome analytical tools, including software platforms for analysis shotgun and targeted metagenomic data
- Familiarity with current bioinformatics tools for sequence pre-processing, alignment, and genomic feature identification.
- Experience with multiomic datasets including proteomics, metabolomics, epigenetics and transcriptomics
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, [email protected]. Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.